Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

How do I check the grounds on my bike - Left side turn signals are dead 09 Jun 2008 15:41 #219005

• KOOL RYDER
  • KOOL RYDER's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • KZ 650B2 / KZ 1000E
  • Thank you received: 0
Ok I was riding and switched the left signals on and the left blinkers blinked once or twice and died.

How do I check the ground wires on the front signals. THe right side works fine.

THe rear ground is easy to locate. I have cleaned the terminals.

Symptoms:

1) there are no lights at all on left side.
2)The relay "dink - dinks" 5 - 6 times then ceases to make any noises.

Since this has happened I have replaced the fuses and bulbs, pulled the switch and everything else looks fine.

How do I check the grounds to the left signal in front?
Rockin\' a KZ650B2 since 2007 and a KZ 1000E since 2008

1978 KZ650B
1979 KZ1000ST

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

How do I check the grounds on my bike - Left side turn signals are dead 09 Jun 2008 16:01 #219009

• ronjones
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
I'm having similar symptoms. I've tracked it down to bad ground in the bulb holder because of rust. Wires in there are also possibly shorting. I'm gonna replace the whole insides, or put on a new/used one.
'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

How do I check the grounds on my bike - Left side turn signals are dead 09 Jun 2008 16:18 #219011

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 237
This shouldn't be that complex but wiring can always present a challenge. According to Clymer, which is not all that great of a wiring diagram the ground on the left front would be a black wire coming out of the signal plugging into yellow/black that gets spliced into the rest of the yellow/black that eventually goes to ground. So there is no dedicated ground for the left front, just wires tie into grounds through plugs and splices. The way I would approach it is to turn your left signal on, you have no light? Check volts on the dark green wire coming out of your signal. If it's not 12vdc no way in the world the bulb can light. So you head back to the next part in the chain which is the turn signal switch. Check volts on dark green there. If there go to the common on the switch which is the orange wire. You know you have volts there though because the right signal works. If you had the 12v on the DG wire on the signal, then check volts on your ground wire at the signal which should be zero volts. If you get 12vdc on the ground wire, yes you have an open ground. Probably a break in the harness at the splices. No use probably trying to track that down, hack a new wire from your left signal ground wire to a working signal ground wire, like the right front.
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

How do I check the grounds on my bike - Left side turn signals are dead 10 Jun 2008 07:32 #219109

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 237
Memory is coming back since it's been a long time since I had a signal problem. Your panel left/right signals are grounded right with the other bulbs in the speed/tach, so chances are if the right panel lights up as well as your speedo/tach lights, the problem is not a ground. Also the short black ground wires coming out of both front signals plug into a common yellow/black plug that is ground, so if right works your ground is there. Also lastly and most importantly if I understand you correctly, even the rear left does not light? If this is true no way it can be grounds because front and rear are complete different ground wiring and no way both have failed the same time. What I mean is if you did lose the ground at the front, the rear would still light and vice/versa. They may not flash due to no load, but the bulb would light solid. So follow your chain of power supply to the left and you should find you have lost 12v. Broken wire, bad turn switch ect.
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• Page: