Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Any reason I can't run a smaller battery... like a 4AH/60 crank battery? 05 Jun 2008 21:30 #218250

• caffcruiser
  • caffcruiser's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
I need something that fits under my tail piece.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Any reason I can't run a smaller battery... like a 4AH/60 crank battery? 05 Jun 2008 22:10 #218264

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337
You can run a smaller battery, but it will die a lot sooner. A lead acid storage battery actually 'wears out" as it is discharged and charged. The lead on the plates actually burns off graually over time and settles in the bottom in the area called the sediment tray. The deeper you discharge a lead acid, the faster it dies. So, changing to a lower A-hr rated battery will accelerate it's demise greatly. It will also more rapidly age to the point where the internal impedance has gotten high enough that it won't crank the starter very well any more.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

Any reason I can't run a smaller battery... like a 4AH/60 crank battery? 10 Jun 2008 02:32 #219081

• Samwell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
caffcruiser wrote:

I need something that fits under my tail piece.

If you're not using electric start, then you could get away with it. It probably won't last as long with the charge/discharge cycles, unless you're lessening the elctrical load on it.

If you went with an AGM type battery, mounting orientation wouldn't be a problem, the smaller ones might have at least close to what you need in amp*hrs.

I've seen ppl make battery boxes under the swingarm as a neat place to hide the battery.

sam
--
Current Rides: 2013 BMW R1200GSW, 1972 BMW R75/5
Current Project: 1978 KZ1000A2: Supercrank'd by Falicon, APE studs and nuts, Dyna Green coils, powder coated frame and fenders, Stainless brake lines, dual front discs, pods, Kerker Exhaust, 1075cc with JE pistons

• Page: