Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Timing 05 Jun 2008 10:19 #218107

• CptEDIV
  • CptEDIV's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
If anyone here has those pages copied... I'd definitely like to have a look at 'em. I read in another post how it was doing the same thing, and they just ignored it. Really want to have it running right though. Thanks
1979 KZ 650 D2 \"Midnight\" blue.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Timing 05 Jun 2008 14:53 #218169

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337
CptEDIV wrote:

And how do you test the advancer? I don't really know whatcha mean by "blipping" the throttle either...

Put the timing light on and watch the mark. As you rev the engine, the timing should advance if the advancer mechanism is working. The manual should tell how to check low and high RPM timing marks.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

Timing 05 Jun 2008 14:55 #218172

• bountyhunter
  • User
CptEDIV wrote:

Alright, using the timing light and rotating the backing plate fully counter clockwise I got 2 and 3 perfectly on the F. As for the 1 and 4, its just where it is in the picture above. I adjusting the gap while its running with a light I can't get it to change at all.. What am I doing wrong? Is turning the backing plate setting the time, then gapping the points something else? I thought the gapping was the timing, because when the points close the plugs fire. No?Thanks,
-Ed

(Oh, theres two screws on each set of points, and there are three on the backing plate.)

Tweaking the gap changes timing very little, it changes something called DWELL which is how long the points are open in each cycle. Don't worry about that. Loosen the three screws holding the backing plate and rotate it left or right to adjust the timing.

At idle, the timing mark should line up with the "F". Rotate the plate to get this lined up.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

Last edit: by bountyhunter.

Timing 05 Jun 2008 16:58 #218200

• CptEDIV
  • CptEDIV's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Ohhh Alright. I'll play with it some more.. One more thing- I have some cam chain noise from I believe unsynched carbs and or bad cam chain adjuster. I'm attempting to remedy the problem now, I've ordered a set of gauges for synching and a manual cam chain tensioner. My question is, could the chain have hopped and skipped time, possibly making it impossible to adjust my spark timing?? Thanks for the help.
-Ed
1979 KZ 650 D2 \"Midnight\" blue.

Timing 05 Jun 2008 17:57 #218210

• bountyhunter
  • User
CptEDIV wrote:

Ohhh Alright. I'll play with it some more.. One more thing- I have some cam chain noise from I believe unsynched carbs and or bad cam chain adjuster. I'm attempting to remedy the problem now, I've ordered a set of gauges for synching and a manual cam chain tensioner. My question is, could the chain have hopped and skipped time, possibly making it impossible to adjust my spark timing?? Thanks for the help.
-Ed

No, if the cam chain jumped a tooth or the cam gear slipped it would not affect ignition timing (it definitely would make it run lousy). You still want the spark to fire the same place with respect to crankshaft (and piston) position. That's why the timing advancer, points and other stuff run off the crankshaft and not the camshaft.

If you lossen those three screws and move the mounting plate the points ride on, the timing has to change.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

Last edit: by bountyhunter.
  • Page: