Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Overcharging 03 Jun 2008 13:04 #217684

• madkaw6969
  • madkaw6969's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I have 1981 kz650 csr and I have chopped it out and basically eliminated the stock wiring harness. The only shut off switch is the oem Kill switch on the handlebar, the keyed ignition has been eliminated. I have only speedo light, headlight and taillight for lighting. When I rev up high I am getting up to 17 volts across terminals. If I ride for long periods of time ( 200 + Miles) at a time, the battery will boil over. Is this simply a bad regulator, or am I missing something else? When I originally had this problem on the way to deadwood last year, I thought it was a fluke, but I have been having the oproblem ever since. I have been filling the battery back up, but I don't want to keep doing this, I am leaving on a 6000 mile trip next week and would really like to get this figured out asap. I purchased2 seperate oem replacement regulators from D.K. last year when I originally had the problem, but neither one of them seemed to charge at all, I never got more than 12 volts across the terminals with them. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Overcharging 03 Jun 2008 15:01 #217705

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337
Do you have the stock regulator/rectifier assembly on the bike? It would make it easier because you know it is designed to work with your alternator assembly.

Here's what I would do:

Get the schematic. Trace out EVERY wire associated with the regulator assembly. make sure all are connected.

I would wager what's missing on yours is that the regulator assembly needs a "sense" line connected to it from the plus side of the battery. That line tells the regulator when to stop charging. If it's missing, it will run wide open and cook the battery because it thinks the battery voltage is too low.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

Last edit: by bountyhunter.

Overcharging 03 Jun 2008 16:07 #217715

• madkaw6969
  • madkaw6969's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
After I posted the question, I sat here staring at the schematic and that is exactly what I figured out, the brown wire going from the battery to the regulator was not connecting. Thanks for your insight, ride straight!!

• Page: