Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Dropped bike, now no power 01 Jun 2008 18:05 #217244

• Afrosemite
  • Afrosemite's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
So, after spending the better part of a day working on getting my carbs cleaned I finally get to the point where I am go out see how it runs.
About 100 feet down the road I hit some real loose gravel and end up dropping the bike because I'm an idiot. Anywho =) Now I get no power out of anything and am blowing my main fuse. Any thoughts on what I could have pinched or how I should go about using my multimeter to figure out whats going on?
\'78 Kz650d sr

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dropped bike, now no power 01 Jun 2008 18:09 #217246

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
Check the battery, you may have jarred something loose or the + cable is grounding out...
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

Dropped bike, now no power 01 Jun 2008 19:06 #217266

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337
If it fell on the side, check the turnsignal stems and wires running through them. They get yanked and may have the insulation torn at the corner grounding out.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

Dropped bike, now no power 01 Jun 2008 19:42 #217274

• Afrosemite
  • User
so how should I be using my ohmmeter to test this? Just connect to the frame and poke different wires waiting to see 1? Key on or off? (only burns fuses while on) What range for the meter? I'm no good at this stuff but I can imagine a should would charge a lot to fix it.
Could this have anything to do with the new points that were just put in?
\'78 Kz650d sr

Dropped bike, now no power 01 Jun 2008 23:07 #217303

• bountyhunter
  • User
Afrosemite wrote:

so how should I be using my ohmmeter to test this? Just connect to the frame and poke different wires waiting to see 1? Key on or off? (only burns fuses while on) What range for the meter? I'm no good at this stuff but I can imagine a should would charge a lot to fix it.
Could this have anything to do with the new points that were just put in?

Key off when using the Ohm meter to find wires touching ground. Put one lead on ground and poke away. range of 1X is best, you are looking for a short of less than a few Ohms.

Points should have nothing to do with it.

carefully check any bulbs or bulb sockets that got damaged or the wires going to them.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

Dropped bike, now no power 03 Jun 2008 20:27 #217777

• Afrosemite
  • User
can carefully check mean to just unplug? I am pretty confused about what I should actually be doing. I went outside and cleaned all the connections I could find with the connection cleaner, greased them, and still exploding fuses.

I may just not be looking carefully enough at the connections and, it's very likely, that I just have no idea what I am doing with this multimeter.
Sorry for the negative tone, I'm kind of stressed about this
\'78 Kz650d sr

Dropped bike, now no power 04 Jun 2008 15:32 #217910

• bountyhunter
  • User
Afrosemite wrote:

can carefully check mean to just unplug? I am pretty confused about what I should actually be doing.

Check wires for damage to the insulation going around the corners that could short.

To use an Ohm meter to find a short to ground, you connect one lead to chassis and poke around with the other lead. It will beep or read low Ohms when you find the short.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

• Page: