Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Help with Dyna S . . .and other issues . . . 01 Jun 2008 18:05 #217243

• jeffo
  • jeffo's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Ok so I was having problems with the factory ignition . . I had taken my bike to a shop in Las Vegas and they screwed up the timing and did not fix it causing the points to hit each other making the stock system unusable. And now that I'm back in Salt Lake City I must fix it myself.

So I went ahead and changed to the Dyna S and have some questions.

Do I need new coils?

My battery is going dead every few days since I changed it out so I have to keep putting the battery on the charger.

In addition I was not able to adjust the timing per the directions I am about a quarter of an inch off from the correct timing mark and I am at the end of the adjustment??? (see the photos)

Per the Dyna S directions the timing mark is supposed to line up with the first mark when the test light turns on but the test light does not turn on until I hit the spot shown in the photo.

My other Issue is engine noise. I was having some issues with the stock chain tensioner and after taking it off I found that there was a bent spring. So I ordered the APE but I was to afraid that I was not going to get it adjusted right so I ordered new springs for the Stock chain tensioner and now I am getting even more engine noise??

Could this be a sign of more engine problems to come or should I just ignore the clatter of the engine and ride it until it dies?

Thank you for everyones help. I will post some more photos once I can actually go on a ride that is more then a few miles to work without wondering if I can start the bike again.
1981 KZ650H1 CSR
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Help with Dyna S . . .and other issues . . . 01 Jun 2008 19:24 #217271

• Bluemeanie
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
Loosen the mounting plate screws and put them in the middle of the slot and then try your static timing again, should be a lot closer. Also, did you hold the advancer in the full advanced position as you turned the crank?
1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

Last edit: by Bluemeanie.

Help with Dyna S . . .and other issues . . . 01 Jun 2008 21:30 #217294

• jeffo
  • User
When I loosen the bolts and put it more toward the center it goes even further away from the timing mark.

The mark is hard to see but to the right is one mark and then the mark next to that is the correct mark.

So if I move it the other way it gets much further away from the timing mark.

Unless I made a mistake with is very possible. I will have to check it out again tomorrow.

What do you mean when you say full advance? I use the 17mm socket to turn the engine until the light turns on per the directions but I may be missing something.

Thanks for your help!!
1981 KZ650H1 CSR

Help with Dyna S . . .and other issues . . . 01 Jun 2008 22:01 #217297

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Am perhaps misreading the info provided, but the F mark is supposed to align with the case mark at idle speed (i.e., both outside sparkplugs #1 and #4 are supposed to fire when the F mark aligns with the case mark).

Then repeat for F mark as to #2/3.

[Click image to enlarge view]

Good Luck! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

Help with Dyna S . . .and other issues . . . 02 Jun 2008 07:34 #217365

• jeffo
  • User
Well I guess that is my problem the way I read the directions I though it was the 2nd mark to the right of the 1-4.

I will give it a go when I get home tonight and see if that helps out.

Will I need new coils? Or will that fix my battery charging issue?

Thanks!
1981 KZ650H1 CSR

• Page: