• Page:

TOPIC:

dyna III electronic ignition 31 May 2008 17:04 #217003

• jdsmithinc
  • jdsmithinc's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • You want some of this? Huh? Do ya?
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a firing problem on cylinders 2 and 3 on my 73 kz900. Basically I have no fire at all. I found a dyna III electronic ignition and wanted to know what benefits this system poses as well as any drawbacks. This is supposed to replace the points system on my bike. If I get it would going with new stock coils cause any issues? Also how hard is it to set the timing on this bike if I do this, because I have never done it before?
74 Kawasaki Z1 900
78 Honda CB 750
97 Ford F-150
Mustangs, too many to list on here (I like to rip the pieces of junk apart)
Located in Shelby, N.C.
If life gives you lemons make lemonade, then find someone whos life was given vodka and have a party.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

dyna III electronic ignition 01 Jun 2008 01:40 #217060

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
jdsmithinc wrote:

I have a firing problem on cylinders 2 and 3 on my 73 kz900. Basically I have no fire at all. I found a dyna III electronic ignition and wanted to know what benefits this system poses as well as any drawbacks. This is supposed to replace the points system on my bike. If I get it would going with new stock coils cause any issues? Also how hard is it to set the timing on this bike if I do this, because I have never done it before?

The advantage of the Dyna III is that it gives the coils twice as much time to charge (called dwell) as the stock points. The other main advantage is that as long as it's working, you shouldn't have to touch it... meaning there's nothing to do for a tune-up.

The main disadvantage is that it uses nearly double the average current as the stock points system. This means it will use more power which may affect battery charge at lower RPMs. It also means the wiring and switches will be handling more current than normal. 30+ year old wires etc. may not be up to the task. The fast fix for that is the Wiredgeorge relay mod.

The Dyna III is made to use stock coils, and new stock coils are recommended, as long as they are new, and not old used ones. Old used coils can get you stranded. The stock coils should be 4-ohms, and the Dyna III can use coils that are 3 ohms or higher.

However, if you've never timed the engine, I take it you've never replaced the points. If that's the case, then that may be all it needs.

dyna III electronic ignition 01 Jun 2008 11:19 #217136

• PLUMMEN
  • User
  • Thank you received: 103
the dyna 3 is a dyna s with a seperate box with all the sensitive stuff mounted in it like the stock kz ignition if i remember right;)
Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• Page: