Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

new coils hooked up but headlight and cluster lights and tail light not working!!! 30 May 2008 19:14 #216874

• old_skool_77
  • old_skool_77's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Woot Woot
  • Thank you received: 0
Just got my accel coils wired up and I have a nice pretty blue spark to all cylinders. The problem i'm having now is, I have no power to my headlight or gauge cluster lights or my taillight. I never unhooked any of these items from their harness. I have all signals working and running lights on the front. But, I'll turn the key two clicks to the right and I have power to the tail light, but when I hit the brake pedal, the light goes out. All I did is replace the coils. Everything worked fine before the switch of the coils. Did I hook something up wrong on the coils or what? I sat in the garage for two hours with a friend of mine and we couldnt find any issues. Everything has a good conection from the battery to the turn signals. I mean we checked everything!! However, we didnt have power to the two wires that run the drive and passing light(low and high beam on headlight)! If anyone could shine some light on my issue, I would be forever in your debt!! Thanks from old_skool_77:unsure:
1975 z1 900
1976 kz 900
1977kz 1000
1980kz 1000 ltd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

new coils hooked up but headlight and cluster lights and tail light not working!!! 30 May 2008 22:44 #216903

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337
old_skool_77 wrote:

Just got my accel coils wired up and I have a nice pretty blue spark to all cylinders. The problem i'm having now is, I have no power to my headlight or gauge cluster lights or my taillight. I never unhooked any of these items from their harness. I have all signals working and running lights on the front. But, I'll turn the key two clicks to the right and I have power to the tail light, but when I hit the brake pedal, the light goes out. All I did is replace the coils. Everything worked fine before the switch of the coils. Did I hook something up wrong on the coils or what? I sat in the garage for two hours with a friend of mine and we couldnt find any issues. Everything has a good conection from the battery to the turn signals. I mean we checked everything!! However, we didnt have power to the two wires that run the drive and passing light(low and high beam on headlight)! If anyone could shine some light on my issue, I would be forever in your debt!! Thanks from old_skool_77:unsure:

Did you check all the fuses?

Did you run the power lines through the ignition switch to the fuse block?

If yiou have a voltmeter, you can trace the power trail quickly.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

Last edit: by bountyhunter.

new coils hooked up but headlight and cluster lights and tail light not working!!! 02 Jun 2008 05:45 #217338

• STUMPYandhisKZ650sr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I actually had a similar problem on my 79 650. It ended up being a bad connection though. I too thought all my connnections were good because I didn't unplug them and they worked before. However there was the slightest amount of corrosion on some of the pins in one of my connectors. I took all of my connectors apart, cleaned them up with a small piece of super fine sand paper, blew them clean and then used a tooth pick to apply copper coat anti-sieze. Works good now.

• Page: