• Page:

TOPIC:

Gremlin hunting 29 May 2008 15:56 #216647

• l0g1c
  • l0g1c's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Hanging on for dear life.
  • Thank you received: 1
So, after my little spill, I've got all the new shiny parts on the bike. New fork seals & springs, new coils, & new ignition and new handlebars. I go to fire the bike up, and now my main fuse pops as soon as I turn the key.

I've disconnected my coils and all my handlebar switches, and it still pops the fuse. I've visually inspected the wires and still can't resolve my problem.

Does anyone here have a technique or method to hunt down these pesky electrical gremlins? All I can think of is to start doing continuity check after continuity check and search for a short that way. :blink:

edit: The bike actually ran after my spill, so I seem to have knocked something loose while monkeying around with it, rather than damage from the wreck itself.
'81 KZ750 LTD
'72 CB350K
Omaha, NE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by l0g1c.

Gremlin hunting 29 May 2008 18:18 #216658

• PLUMMEN
  • User
  • Thank you received: 103
let me try and get over this weekend to see if we can figure out what got knocked loose,if it keeps raining i should be free.we get power to the one coil but not the other.switched wires between coils and got same result so the coils are good,maybe i can get the electronics wiz kid solomrus to come over to take a peek at it really quick.:(
Still recovering,some days are better than others.

Gremlin hunting 29 May 2008 20:24 #216682

• l0g1c
  • l0g1c's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Hanging on for dear life.
  • Thank you received: 1
Well, I "think" I fixed that issue, but as soon as I fix one thing, another rears its ugly head. :angry:

Oh well, it's a learning experience. I'd like a little less learning and a lot more riding, though, hehe.

Just gimme a call if you're able to swing by, dude. I'll be waking up early pretty much every day until I can fix it.
'81 KZ750 LTD
'72 CB350K
Omaha, NE

Last edit: by l0g1c.

Gremlin hunting 29 May 2008 21:47 #216693

• PLUMMEN
  • User
  • Thank you received: 103
im buried tomorrow,supposed to plumb 2 bathrooms saturday but working on a bike sounds like much for fun!ill go with working on a bike!:laugh:
Still recovering,some days are better than others.

Gremlin hunting 29 May 2008 22:01 #216696

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337
l0g1c wrote:

edit: The bike actually ran after my spill, so I seem to have knocked something loose while monkeying around with it, rather than damage from the wreck itself.

Popping a fuse takes what we call a "hard" short, one that can really pass a ton of current. If you laid it on the side and crunched a turn signal or running light, the wiring to those is the place to start. Guess how I know....
1979 KZ-750 Twin

• Page: