• Page:

TOPIC:

aftermarket accel coils. what wires go where? 29 May 2008 13:01 #216620

• old_skool_77
  • old_skool_77's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Woot Woot
  • Thank you received: 0
I got this 1980 kz1000 ltd b4 and bought used accel coil without the wires that hook into the wiring harness and I haven't the slightest clue as to which coil goes to the proper cylinder and what wires hook up to the studs for power. If anyone can help me out here, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!:unsure:
1975 z1 900
1976 kz 900
1977kz 1000
1980kz 1000 ltd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

aftermarket accel coils. what wires go where? 29 May 2008 13:17 #216621

• OnkelB
  • User
  • Thank you received: 80
One coil fires 1/4, the other fires 2/3 (counted from the left sitting on the bike), the plug wires should be connected accordingly.

Remove your timing cover and look at your points (or pickups if you have electronic ignition), you will see a green wire connected to one set of points/pickup and a black wire connected to the other set - I can never remember which is which but the wire connected to the left set of points/pickup fires the 1/4 coil and should connect to one of the small lugs at the front of that coil, the wire connected to the right set of points/pickup fires the 2/3 coils and connects to one of the small lugs at the front of that coil.

The remaining small lug at the front of the coils is where your power wire connects (yellow/red I believe, there should be a double plug under the rear of your tank) - it doesn´t matter which coil lug you use for power and which you use for the points/pickup wire, it´ll work either way.
77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.

Last edit: by OnkelB.

aftermarket accel coils. what wires go where? 30 May 2008 08:47 #216763

• old_skool_77
  • old_skool_77's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Woot Woot
  • Thank you received: 0
B) Thanks a lot! That makes complete sense. I will get those coils lined up and get back with ya to let you know if they work. And by the way, There's like this rectangulated box with a pink wire and red wire coming from it and this box is mounted where the coils were mounted, bolted down on the front set of coil mounts. You by chance wouldn't know what this box is called? THanks for the coil wiring tip!!!
1975 z1 900
1976 kz 900
1977kz 1000
1980kz 1000 ltd

• Page: