Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

IC Igniter gone bad - other Igniters usable? 26 May 2008 10:14 #215943

• Marshall
  • Marshall's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi folks, I'm trying to get a 1983 GPz550 H2 running for the first time and I think my IC Igniter (part number 21119-1039 ) is bad. I'll have to lay down a good wad of cash to get the exact same unit used off Ebay, so I was wondering what the difference is between Kawasaki Igniters from similar bikes around the same time period? It seems like the job of the igniter is relatively simple and non-model specific; the physical module might change model-to-model, but do you think it's worth buying a cheaper Igniter from, say, a 1980 KZ100 to see if it works with my '83 GPz550 H2?

I think the Igniter's bad because I'm getting extremely weak sparks despite a fully charged battery, new plugs, and an electrical system that otherwise seems to check out. The Igniter was off on a couple of the resistence checks they have in my Haynes-type manual.

Thanks for your input,

Marshall

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

IC Igniter gone bad - other Igniters usable? 26 May 2008 13:48 #215986

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Might consider going to Dyna coils with Dyna-S electronic ignition, and Dyna plug wires (come with caps already fitted) -- and don't use the igniter.

Z1E has all the Dyna parts.

Good Luck! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

IC Igniter gone bad - other Igniters usable? 26 May 2008 17:34 #216013

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
yes, that igniter is basically the same, electrically, as used on the early 1980's KZ's. You can pretty much use any one that was not meant for electronic-advance motors.

You can also make one for about $35. This is the one i've used for several years.:
www.geocities.com/loudgpz/GPZgmHEImod.html

However, since you are getting some sort of spark, it may not be a bad igniter. The resistance-tests are not very accurate especially with a digital meter.

If only one coil is putting out a weak spark, you can try swapping coils and see if the problem follows the coil.

Also, check the voltage at the coils and make sure it's tha same as the battery voltage. It is common to lose voltage through the fuses or switches.

• Page: