• Page:

TOPIC:

dyna ignition vs. stock electronic ignition 20 May 2008 10:06 #214746

• saxjonz
  • saxjonz's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • KawboyZ
  • Thank you received: 75
I've got dyna coils and ignition on my 79 and my 80 has stock electronic.
Is there any difference real, perceived or otherwise that makes a noticeable difference in the performance times of the bike?
79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

dyna ignition vs. stock electronic ignition 20 May 2008 10:43 #214755

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
If the motors are stock, other than improved exhaust and correct jetting, and in good condition, there really shouldn't be any noticeable power difference. Sometimes more spark energy makes a difference if the motor is in poor condition or the jetting is off.

The Dyna S does increase the dwell to more than double the stock Kaw electronic ignition, but the stock electronic ignition makes up for it somewhat, by using hotter coils that charge faster.

The Dyna S ignition uses more electrical power than the kaw ignitions. So if the charging system is questionable, the Dyna S will stress it even more.

Last edit: by loudhvx.

dyna ignition vs. stock electronic ignition 20 May 2008 11:47 #214762

• saxjonz
  • User
  • KawboyZ
That sounds good enough to me. Thanks! So when I ever decide on the size of bore to go with my kaw then I will have an advantage with the dyna. I bought them because the wires were shot and the points were fried and I just didn't want to replace new with something that would give me a hassle so I spent a bit more and did it right by improving upon the parts replaced.
I was thinking 1327 turbo but I keep on getting all kinds of different answers as to what would be good bang for the street and be somewhat reliable to ride around without having to worry about stopping for an ocassional light. Most likely I will take this bike out only under ideal conditions when I don't have to stop and go with Chicago traffic although presently I only ride when there is no real traffic but I do get caught by traffic lights so that would still figure into the equation. I don't hot dog all the time but when I do I like to get it good.
79 LTD B3

dyna ignition vs. stock electronic ignition 20 May 2008 22:40 #214877

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
You're not kidding about Chicago traffic! It gets worse every year.

I'll keep an eye out for ya, I usually hang out in Ukranian Village and Humboldt Park. :)

dyna ignition vs. stock electronic ignition 21 May 2008 06:36 #214906

• saxjonz
  • User
  • KawboyZ
I ride around Humbolt Park on occasion. I have some friends who live there. I am riding the kaw in the pic that I bought from Cali. The engine looks much shinier and I have a brown 76 tank on it until I get the original acid washed. Runnin a Vance and Hines open exhaust. I hang at the jazz venues so from time to time on Mondays I go to Smoke Daddy.
79 LTD B3

• Page: