• Page:

TOPIC:

'80 kz750g keyswitch 11 May 2008 17:16 #212888

• jorn
  • jorn's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • vroooooommmmm
  • Thank you received: 0
I think this keyswitch is not original, by how new the plastic on it looks. It's 3-position. From everything I can tell, the left position is off. Past that it gets a little flaky.

In the center position, the indicator lights will all work (except the high-beam one - methinks the bulb is burned out, the highbeam itself works). The bike has no fire in this position, and the starter won't turn over. In the right position, the starter will turn over and the bike has good spark, but I don't think the signals or lights work on that side. Will they work once the bike starts? Or should I start looking for a problem?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

'80 kz750g keyswitch 11 May 2008 18:04 #212904

• jorn
  • User
  • vroooooommmmm
SHE LIVES! haha, I got it started! Rode around the block a couple times, to the chagrin of my old folk neighbors.

On the downside, nothing electric except the ignition and starter work with the key in the far right position. Is this probably something up in/on the keyswitch?

Also, I have some carb issues which I will post over in the carburetors section.

Yay! $300, a battery and trickle charger, a tank of gas, half a can of seafoam, a piece of sandpaper, and some wd-40. Not bad for a first bike, I'd say.

'80 kz750g keyswitch 12 May 2008 04:55 #212999

• enormiss
  • User
If you start in the far right position will it stay running when you move it back to the center position?
Maybe it's like that to save batt. power while starting
81 750 LTD
96 DR 350
94 DR 350
S. Jersey

'80 kz750g keyswitch 12 May 2008 07:52 #213026

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
It's wired wrong, middle position is start/run/lights, right position is lights only.

Sounds like someone messed it up when they wired it in, which means they probably cut and spliced wiring :(

Don't even think about using the 76-79 carb kits on the 80 KZ750G carbs, you will regret it if you do. Been there, done that, it don't work.

And I have been unable to find any carb kits for the 80 KZ750G carbs.
KD9JUR

Last edit: by steell.

'80 kz750g keyswitch 12 May 2008 13:00 #213085

• jorn
  • User
  • vroooooommmmm
What happened when you used the wrong carb kits? I ask because the last owner claimed to have rebuilt the carbs, and while I've assumed that they're just out of adjustment, I can't imagine that this kid got the right kits when you couldn't find them (he knew virtually nothing about the bike). :dry:

'80 kz750g keyswitch 12 May 2008 17:57 #213133

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
Just flat out could not get the mixture right, even tried adjusting the fuel level in the float bowls up and down. When I got it to idle decent, the top end would be entirely to rich, try and lean out the top end and it would idle and run like crap. Finally I took the rebuild kits back out of the 750G carbs and installed them in 79 carbs, put the 79 carbs on the bike and they worked great.

Since I'm a stubborn hard headed person, I never ask for help, just keep trying till I solve the problem. I mentioned this problem with 750B carb kits in 750G carbs in someone else;s thread and Wiredgeorge said something about the jets and needles being different (I think, it's been awhile).
KD9JUR

• Page: