TOPIC:

Need a wiring diagram for an '80 kz750g twin 10 May 2008 21:01 #212668

• jorn
  • jorn's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • vroooooommmmm
  • Thank you received: 0
A little background:

I bought the bike not running. The owner said it had no spark, but he'd used an automotive jump-starter to test that. I thought to myself, "Self, I'll bet a proper battery might be all you'd need to get good fire out of that thing..." And I went down to Wal-Mart and bought the proper battery for the bike. After filling and trickle charging the battery, I went about installing it.

Hooked the starter cable up to positive, ground up to negative, and had a pair of like 12 gauge wires coming up alongside the starter cable. After tracing them a ways, I assumed they were not ground wires and hooked them up on the positive, but immediately the clutch cable started smoking and melted a bit of the plastic up where it goes into the handle. I'm pretty well lost without a wiring diagram for this thing, and unfortunately neither clymer nor haynes saw fit to cover this bike with a service manual. I really need an OEM service manual, and for now I definitely need a wiring diagram as well. Anybody got any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Need a wiring diagram for an '80 kz750g twin 10 May 2008 21:51 #212683

• KzzIcan
  • User
There was a similar post in a kawasaki twin forum. Someone suggested the use of a Kz400 book because supposedly the are like.

Need a wiring diagram for an '80 kz750g twin 11 May 2008 01:13 #212707

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
79 and 80 750 twin wiring harnesses are the same.

If I recall correctly (I'll look later after I get some sleep) one of those two wires is a ground wire, I think for the starter solenoid and reg/rec.

I have a FSM that covers the 80 KZ750G, but it's out in the shop right now,

I'll be back on later today.
KD9JUR

Need a wiring diagram for an '80 kz750g twin 11 May 2008 14:06 #212851

• jorn
  • User
  • vroooooommmmm
I connected those wires to the ground and the starter, lights, signals, and horn are all functioning properly. Still no spark. I went to take the points cover off and was confronted with this:

Needless to say, I think that may have allowed a tad bit of moisture into the points.

Going to file points now, see if i can get some pretty blue sparks goin...

Need a wiring diagram for an '80 kz750g twin 11 May 2008 16:51 #212880

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
I convert the 750 twins to electronic ignition using either 82-83 750 twin or KZ440 parts.
Beats the heck out of having to mess with points :)
KD9JUR

Need a wiring diagram for an '80 kz750g twin 11 May 2008 17:10 #212886

• jorn
  • User
  • vroooooommmmm
Is that a difficult/expensive process? Also, where can I get a new points cover?

Need a wiring diagram for an '80 kz750g twin 30 May 2008 18:51 #216863

• Duggalo
  • User
I bought an '80 KZ750G Twin for $50. Not running. I was told it hadn't ran in 20 years and the starter is most likely shot. I just bought a battery for it and started tinkering around. Put the battery in to find out the cables don't reach to the proper terminals. I ALSO found the extra two wires. After finding out these two wires were damaged beyond use I rewired them and put a fresh terminal on the end. I also replaced the ground and the Positive. Being that there wasn't a battery in the bike to start with I have no idea where these go. A friend of mine said they are most likely ground wires. But I still have to drain old oil and refill and drain old gas and refill and dig the mouse nest out of the air intake before I can attempt to start it. Otherwise the bike is immaculate and only has 14,000 miles on it. Motor and carbs are clean. throttle linkage is smoothe works great. I admit I have no idead what I'm doing on a bike. I'm a car guy...spend my time under my Trans Am and my S-10 4x4. LOL.

I did find this you may be interested in.

www.repairmanual.com/motorcycles/1980/34/0/4601/12712
1980 750 LTD Twin (KZ750G)

• Page: