Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

WIRE 09 May 2008 18:25 #212440

• FireFighterRon
  • FireFighterRon's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
i need to know on my wireing diagram .. how to i know what gage of wire to use.. i have a 1983 KZ1100 A3 Shaft and i am going to re-wire it.. ware can i bye all the wires i kneed i am trying to keep the same colors so it easy to fix down the road if something goes wrong ... i want the wires to be new .. not used
Instructions for riding a KZ1100 1) sit on bike, 2) start bike and idle till warm, 3) pull in clutch, put in gear, 4) release clutch and rip on the throttle, 5)VERY IMPORTANT!!HOLD THE F*** ON!!!, 6) Enjoy!! Side effects may include whiplash, wrinkle free skin and an evil smile resembling the"Joker"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

WIRE 12 May 2008 10:02 #213060

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
I am not an expert in electrical wiring, but I have replaced some of my wiring with 18ga multi stranded copper wire. On some wiring that I thought carried a heavier load I went with 16 ga.

I may have screwed up but I have no problems so far after 3 years. I am sure there is some formula that lets you calculate the wire size depending on what the load on the wire is, but I don't know.

Edit: I did a search on Google for "wire size for motorcycle" and one of the sites here will help.

webmaster10.com/ldr/formulas.htm

Electrical Wire Size
These are MINIMUM size, larger gauge wire (smaller number) is preferred

Up to 10 amps 16 gauge
Up to 20 amps 14 gauge
Up to 30 amps 12 gauge

Another link:
www.rbeelectronics.com/wtable.htm

and another:
www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

It seems 18 and 16 will be fine for most stuff. The battery cables positive and ground should be about 6 gauge. You need to look at what each wire will carry as a load, and figure out what you need. I think if everything was 16 and 14 ga it would work fine, maybe even be overkill, but I would trust it for anything. If you are powering an accessory, like a big horn, or electric vests, lot's of lights, then the wire size may change.
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by OKC_Kent.
  • Page: