Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Help - 3 starter relays in 3 months? 08 May 2008 21:01 #212193

• ww2willys
  • ww2willys's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Can anyone help me figure out why my starter relay keeps going bad? This isn't on my KZ900 but on my daily driver 1985 GPZ900. I replaced the 23 year old original relay with a new one from a local Kawasaki dealer. Two weeks later the same thing happened. I have 12 volts directly from the battery and when I press the starter button it sends 11.5 volts to the small wire on the relay but won't pass through to go to the starter.
I have tried taking a jumper wire directly from the battery to the small post on the relay but still nothing happens, no voltage going to the starter.
I bought another starter relay and it has worked for about one month. Now yesterday it is starting to act the same way. If I use a screwdriver to jump across the terminals it spins the motor over great and starts right up.
Battery is fully charged and not a problem. I have changed out the starter switch and the fuse box relay for the starter also while trying to troubleshoot the problem but still no luck.
Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Help - 3 starter relays in 3 months? 08 May 2008 21:09 #212198

• PLUMMEN
  • User
  • Thank you received: 103
do you mean the solenoid?bad electrical connection?its basically just a spring/plunger that closes when electricity passes through it aint it?:huh:
Still recovering,some days are better than others.

Help - 3 starter relays in 3 months? 08 May 2008 21:15 #212202

• ww2willys
  • User
Yes, it is just a spring plunger setup. Connections are all good and clean, no corrosion. I makes no difference if I use the wire that is powered from the starter button or if I use a jumper wire direct from the battery. It still doesn't let the electricity pass through until I put a new one on and then it works fine?

Help - 3 starter relays in 3 months? 08 May 2008 22:53 #212220

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337
ww2willys wrote:

Yes, it is just a spring plunger setup. Connections are all good and clean, no corrosion. I makes no difference if I use the wire that is powered from the starter button or if I use a jumper wire direct from the battery. It still doesn't let the electricity pass through until I put a new one on and then it works fine?

If you mean that the set of high current contacts (the side that drives the starter) keeps going bad, it means your starter is drawing too much current when it cranks and that fries the contacts.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

Help - 3 starter relays in 3 months? 09 May 2008 17:08 #212432

• ww2willys
  • User
bountyhunter wrote:
[/quote] If you mean that the set of high current contacts (the side that drives the starter) keeps going bad, it means your starter is drawing too much current when it cranks and that fries the contacts.[/quote]

Yes it is the side that drives the starter. The starter sounds normal and doesn't turn slow or drag. It does make sense what you're saying and I think that will be my next move to try another starter. Any idea how many amps the starter should draw?

Help - 3 starter relays in 3 months? 09 May 2008 19:15 #212448

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337
ww2willys wrote:

bountyhunter wrote:

If you mean that the set of high current contacts (the side that drives the starter) keeps going bad, it means your starter is drawing too much current when it cranks and that fries the contacts.[/quote]

Yes it is the side that drives the starter. The starter sounds normal and doesn't turn slow or drag. It does make sense what you're saying and I think that will be my next move to try another starter. Any idea how many amps the starter should draw?[/quote]

Not exactly sure, I would hazard a guess of the ballpark of maybe 15 - 25 Amps?

Pull the caps off the spark plugs and crank the starter while measuring the battery voltage. If the starter is drwing too much current, the batt voltage will probably drop below 9V.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

Last edit: by bountyhunter.

Help - 3 starter relays in 3 months? 10 May 2008 00:15 #212504

• bill_wilcox100
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but from the symptoms I understand that the high current path from the battery, through the starter relay (solenoid) to the starter sounds OK to me.

I read the fault symptom as, the starter relay control wire does not operate the starter relay. Even connecting the battery (+) directly to the control wire does not seem to operate the starter relay. This sounds impossible unless the relay control wire has no return path to the battery negative (-)... or the solenoid is just bad. If the solenoid is good then this would make it a ground problem which is a lot cheaper than a new starter. :dry:

Sorry, don't remember if the ground is made by a clamp to chassis or a separate black wire. You should be able to test this easily. Disconnect the two big high current wires, disconnect the small control wire and small (black) ground wires. Connect the control wire and ground wire directly to a battery. You should hear and feel the relay operate. Put a Multimeter in the ohm scale across the big contact posts and it should read near zero ohms. If so all is good and you only have a ground fault to solve. :huh:

Or did I miss something here? :unsure:

Best of success! :)
1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada

Last edit: by bill_wilcox100.

Help - 3 starter relays in 3 months? 10 May 2008 07:31 #212532

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 237
That's a good point, maybe your ground wire to the relay has bad connection of some kind, so check for 12v when the starter button is pressed on the one small wire, but also for zero volts on the other. This of course puts the 12v across the coil and magnet pulls the relay to connect the large posts to turn the starter. If the relay is really burning up repeatedly, this would be very unusual as I would think if the starter was bad drawing too much current, the battery would simply not turn it, not damage the relay but as always I could very well be wrong. :)
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

Help - 3 starter relays in 3 months? 11 May 2008 09:06 #212783

• ww2willys
  • User
bill_wilcox100 Your description of the problem is right on the money and your wording makes more sense than how I described the problem.

The starter relay control wire is getting power. I was not sure if the other small black wire beside it was supposed to be grounded or not. In the electrical diagrams it shows that wire is for the starter lockout switch. I have checked with an ohmmeter and verified it is grounded.

Right now I have another good used relay that I used to connect the control wire and ground wire. Using the ohmmeter it shows the relay opens when I press the starter button. Each of the three times I've had a problem, the only thing changed out was the relay itself. As soon as a good relay is installed it starts like normal. Using the ohmmeter on all 3 old relays still shows no current passing through the relay when the starter button is pushed.

By the way, the last 2 relays were brand new from the Kawasaki dealer. I hate to put this used relay on and have it go bad in another week or two. The only upside to this is I'm riding my 76 KZ900 more often.

Help - 3 starter relays in 3 months? 04 Jul 2008 08:17 #223930

• bill_wilcox100
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
So... what happened?
1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada

Help - 3 starter relays in 3 months? 04 Sep 2008 10:55 #235475

• ww2willys
  • User
Sorry, I thought I posted a follow up. After putting the used relay on the bike it only lasted a couple of weeks before it quit working just like the other relays. Did not want to keep spending money on the factory relays so the plan was to temporarily wire in a Ford starter relay and then replace the starter with one that I had just won from Ebay.
After installing the Ford relay, I have not had a single problem in the last 4 months of daily riding. The used starter is sitting here waiting to be installed if needed.

Help - 3 starter relays in 3 months? 04 Sep 2008 14:28 #235503

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
Another cheaper source for starter solenoids is your local riding lawn mower repair shop. I told a rider at www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forumabout this and he went to the John Deere parts house and got a solenoid for $15 instead of the dealer for over $100.

He had to do a little wiring mod to make it work but no big thing. Sears sells parts for their mowers too.
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• Page: