Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

82 KZ550 A3 Turn Signals, Headlight, and brake light all stuck on 04 May 2008 22:54 #211222

• mseems
  • mseems's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 1982 KZ 550 A3
  • Thank you received: 0
For some reason when the key is in the on position, all the lights are stuck on (flashers, brake, and headlight). Seems like a common short somewhere. Could it be the turn signal control switch? I think there is a splice between the turn signal control switch and the rear brake light switch, could that be the location of the problem? Replaced flasher. Looks like there might be some bare wires on the wiring coming from the left handlebar below the blinker switch. Right rear blinker was missing when I bought the bike and i'm in the process of running a new wire for the new blinker, not sure what happened to the old wire and blinker. Also the 2 wires that plug into the flasher have another wire in their bundle which was once connected to something and is now unplugged. Not sure where it goes. Should there be any extra wires not plugged in by the battery? Bike doesn't have an on/off switch for the headlight. Should the headlight always be on? Looks like the on/off button was broke off.
Thank you anyone that can help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

82 KZ550 A3 Turn Signals, Headlight, and brake light all stuck on 05 May 2008 02:31 #211245

• Qdude
  • User
  • It is all good.
  • Thank you received: 1
Welcome welcome,

There are wiring diagrams for most bikes here on-0sight that make wiring problem research much more convenient. From the home-page, "KZ Information" -> "Filebase" -> and go from there.

Has this been a recent development? or has it always been like this? A recent buy perhaps? I would look for a short in the switches/controls personally.
77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

82 KZ550 A3 Turn Signals stuck on 05 May 2008 10:13 #211324

• mseems
  • mseems's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 1982 KZ 550 A3
  • Thank you received: 0
Update: brake light works fine. When the hazards are on all the turn signals are stuck on (no blinking). When the hazzards are off the right turn signals are stuck on and the left turn signals are not on. Turning the blinker switch left, middle, or right doesn't change anything. All wires look like they are good. I have a wire diagram. Any ideas? Already replaced flasher on left side with one from napa. Right one looks ok, also tried to swap it with the old one from the left side. I recently purchased this bike to restore it. Turns out didn't take much to get it running.
Thanks

Last edit: by mseems.

82 KZ550 A3 Turn Signals stuck on 05 May 2008 10:26 #211328

• Qdude
  • User
  • It is all good.
  • Thank you received: 1
With my 77650 there was a min power wire that had burned itself and insulation from adjacent wires which made for some really confusing problems. I'm not saying that is what happened to yours, but this is the type of crap we gotta deal with here.

Do you have a multi-meter? I got mine at Radio-Shack for 20 bucks. It has been indispensable. I would get one and, using the diagram, track the circuit from battery post to battery post looking for shorts. I am guessing that this could be a problem with the switches, or a short somewhere.
77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

• Page: