Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Help Stupid mistake (timing) 03 May 2008 10:07 #210885

• j_bizach
  • j_bizach's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
So im reworking my 81 kz550 ltd back into shape. The other day i pulled the cover off to clean the lobe and contact points of the electronic timing. Well i pulled the lobe off to clean it cause it had a bunch of rust and corrosion on it not realizing that it could go back on more that one way. Right now i have the engine tore apart to rebuild the starter clutch is there anyway that i can figure out which way it goes back on without having to start the bike. Also this bike hasnt ran in about 2 years.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Help Stupid mistake (timing) 03 May 2008 11:22 #210892

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Here's the way it should be:
Attachments:

Help Stupid mistake (timing) 03 May 2008 11:30 #210893

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
However, if it's the opposite way, the motor can still run but something else in the wiring will have to flipped, like coil wires etc.

If it doesn't run, check the following.
The proper orientation of everything is:
Rotor as the above photo shows.
yellow and red pickup is toward the front of the engine.
black and blue pickup is toward the back of the engine.
When pistons 1-4 is near the top-dead-center, the rotor points near the black/blue pickup.
The black wire to the coil goes to the right hand coil and fires cylinders 1 and 4.
The green wire to the coil goes to the left hand coil and fires cylinders 2 and 3.

If the magnetic pickup plate gets dissassembled, the magnets must go back to their original orientation. If you messed with it, I have photos of how it should go back together.

Also since you're messing with it, check the rubber stops on the advancer arms. Sometimes they go missing.
Attachments:

Last edit: by loudhvx.
  • Page: