Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Spark Plug Wires 02 May 2008 20:08 #210801

• A3440
  • A3440's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Does anyone know where I can locate spark plug wires for an '82 KZ440 LTD? Or even a starter relay/solenoid? I have been all over the net and I am stumped. Used is fine...free is best but anything is better then an engine that wont start. :unsure:
1982 KZ440 LTD - Now Running

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Spark Plug Wires 02 May 2008 20:31 #210805

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
A3440 wrote:

Does anyone know where I can locate spark plug wires for an '82 KZ440 LTD? Or even a starter relay/solenoid? I have been all over the net and I am stumped. Used is fine...free is best but anything is better then an engine that wont start. :unsure:

Am thinking most any 7mm sparkplug wires would be okay, such as these Dyna solid core examples from Z1E , which also come in red or yellow, and have the plug caps already attached. Just cut to fit.

If existing coils have permanently affixed plugwires, may also need the "splicers" also carried by Z1E.

Plug Wires

Don't know about the starter relay/solenoid, but believe they may be generic readily available items. Someone with specific knowlege about it should be alone soon.

Meanwhile, perhaps do a search in the above Search Forum box for "starter solenoid".

Good Luck! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Last edit: by Patton.

Spark Plug Wires 03 May 2008 00:03 #210833

• A3440
  • User
Thanks for the link, those are cool wires however I should mention that my wires connected to the coil with screw on connections. I have never seen a plug wire connected like this, then again this is but my second motorcycle.

I hope that there is someone that has a starter relay they don't need...at this point in the restoration it is the ONE thing keeping me from starting my bike for the first time. I think I am too excited and the wait is KILLING ME!! :woohoo:

Last edit: by A3440.

Spark Plug Wires 03 May 2008 06:11 #210848

• Bluemeanie
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
It's for a 79, would it work for $15 + shipping??

79 440 starter relay
1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

Last edit: by Bluemeanie.

Spark Plug Wires 03 May 2008 07:39 #210855

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
A3440 wrote:

... Does anyone know where I can locate spark plug wires for an '82 KZ440 LTD? Or even a starter relay/solenoid?

Is it that the solenoid is not there. Or if physically present, what is the basis for knowing it is faulty? :unsure:

Not wanting to overlook possibility that existing solenoid may be okay and being wrongfully accused. :ohmy:

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Spark Plug Wires 03 May 2008 09:22 #210880

• A3440
  • User
Bluemeanie wrote:

It's for a 79, would it work for $15 + shipping??

79 440 starter relay

I looked at that one on Ebay and I would have got it but I spent my last $20 that I had in paypal to buy grips for the bike...before the relay failed on me, I am such an idiot. Yes that too would work like a charm on the '82 I have.

Spark Plug Wires 03 May 2008 09:50 #210882

• A3440
  • User
Patton wrote:

A3440 wrote:

... Does anyone know where I can locate spark plug wires for an '82 KZ440 LTD? Or even a starter relay/solenoid?

Is it that the solenoid is not there. Or if physically present, what is the basis for knowing it is faulty? :unsure:

Not wanting to overlook possibility that existing solenoid may be okay and being wrongfully accused. :ohmy:

Yes, the solenoid is there...What happened is I bought a battery for the bike and per the instruction with the battery I filled it with the acid, let it sit for an hour then fully charged the battery. Once it was charged I tested the engine a few times making sure it was not seized, she rotated fine but did not start. The bike had been sitting for 2 years before I got it. I took off the gas tank on relieved it of its now yellow non combustible gas and put in about a half gallon of fresh gas. I also removed the carbs and cleaned all the varnish from the insides and was able to free up the throttle linkage as it was seized at the carbs. All is good with the carbs now and the tank is back on and all is hooked up as it was.

So now here we are...I primed the carbs, turned the key and the switch to on, made sure it was in neutral and pressed the start button...CLICK...CLICK..CLICK,CLICK,CLICK...no start. I tracked the click down to the Solenoid/Relay. I got back on my computer to look at my service manual and it said to test it I need to disconnect the high tension leads...the one from the battery and the one to the starter, hook up my multimeter and check the resistance when I push the start button. It said if there is a click and it reads anything other than zero then the relay is faulty. It read 34-46ohms and clicked.

In its defense, the bike is 26 years old and has 25,000 miles with an original relay...I am sure its seen its fair share of starts lol. I think the strain was more than it could bear. Being that most things are not 100% certain I checked it three times and the results were the same each time. At this point I am 98.6253% sure the culprit is the Solenoid/Relay. Let me know if I missed anything :dry:

Edit: I forgot to mention that I also put in new NGK plugs...the proper plugs the manual called for. ;)

Last edit: by A3440.

Spark Plug Wires 17 May 2008 20:26 #214252

• blyle
  • User
I have plug wires and stock coils off from my 1983 KZ750. Don't know if that will help you or not but they have the screww ends.

• Page: