Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

REGULATOR HELP 01 May 2008 17:46 #210528

• FireFighterRon
  • FireFighterRon's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
CAN SOMEONE TELL ME HOW TO TEST A REGULATOR WITH IT BEING OFF THE BIKE .. AND PLEASE JUST DONT SCANN A PIC AND SEND ME I KNEED STEP BY STEP AND TRY TO MAKE IT EASY AS POSSABLE FOR ME ...LOL
Instructions for riding a KZ1100 1) sit on bike, 2) start bike and idle till warm, 3) pull in clutch, put in gear, 4) release clutch and rip on the throttle, 5)VERY IMPORTANT!!HOLD THE F*** ON!!!, 6) Enjoy!! Side effects may include whiplash, wrinkle free skin and an evil smile resembling the"Joker"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

REGULATOR HELP 01 May 2008 22:18 #210597

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337
FireFighterRon wrote:

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME HOW TO TEST A REGULATOR WITH IT BEING OFF THE BIKE .. AND PLEASE JUST DONT SCANN A PIC AND SEND ME I KNEED STEP BY STEP AND TRY TO MAKE IT EASY AS POSSABLE FOR ME ...LOL

I think to properly test a regulator, it has to be in a charging system. I don't think a simple meter test will work.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

REGULATOR HELP 02 May 2008 04:20 #210620

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
FYI -- after a page and a half of detailed instructions about how to test a regulator out of circuit, the factory service manual says the out of circuit test is not fool proof and may show a faulty regulator to be okay in which event the regulator should be replaced. :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

REGULATOR HELP 02 May 2008 07:00 #210656

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
I have a box of old reg/recs and regulators and rectifiers. I have tried the tests suggested by the factory service manual and found that they are pretty useless. Put the reg in the bike and test... proof is the voltage level going to the battery/main fuse. Check at the battery. 12.5 VDC at battery at idle and 14.5 VDC at 4K rpm what to expect.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

REGULATOR HELP 02 May 2008 08:46 #210673

• FireFighterRon
  • FireFighterRon's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
MY PROB IS THE BIKE IS ALL APART CANT TEST IT ON THE BIKE IT IS INPOSSABLE RIGHT NOW ....I AM REDOING THE ELETRICAL SYSTEM AND NEED TO KNOW IF ITS THE REGULATOR OR ALTORNATER SO I KNOW WHAT I HAVE TO SPEND ...
Instructions for riding a KZ1100 1) sit on bike, 2) start bike and idle till warm, 3) pull in clutch, put in gear, 4) release clutch and rip on the throttle, 5)VERY IMPORTANT!!HOLD THE F*** ON!!!, 6) Enjoy!! Side effects may include whiplash, wrinkle free skin and an evil smile resembling the"Joker"

REGULATOR HELP 02 May 2008 09:00 #210679

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
As others have said, the only useful tests to verify it works will require the bike to be running. However, if an ohm-check shows one of the yellow leads is dead-shorted to ground, positive, or the body of the reg/rec, then you can verify that it is bad. But with this method, you can't necessarily verify it is good.

Unless you don't mind spending an extra hundred bucks or so, you'll most likely have to wait for the bike to be running, or borrow another bike.

Last edit: by loudhvx.

REGULATOR HELP 02 May 2008 11:49 #210719

• tjhiggin
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
FireFighterRon wrote:

MY PROB IS THE BIKE IS ALL APART CANT TEST IT ON THE BIKE IT IS INPOSSABLE RIGHT NOW ....I AM REDOING THE ELETRICAL SYSTEM AND NEED TO KNOW IF ITS THE REGULATOR OR ALTORNATER SO I KNOW WHAT I HAVE TO SPEND ...

Take the alternator to an auto-electric shop or one of the big chain auto parts stores. They can test it off the bike and tell you what the output is. Then you will know if the alternator is working properly. You will still have to figure out how to test the regulator, but you will know if the alternator is working or not.
T.J. in Huntsville, Alabama
1983 KZ1100-A3, 1974 Honda CB550-4
Previous bikes: CB100, TS125, CB175, KZ400, CB500-4

REGULATOR HELP 03 May 2008 11:18 #210891

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
tjhiggin wrote:

FireFighterRon wrote:

Take the alternator to an auto-electric shop or one of the big chain auto parts stores. They can test it off the bike and tell you what the output is. Then you will know if the alternator is working properly. You will still have to figure out how to test the regulator, but you will know if the alternator is working or not.

They might do a resistance check, which Ron could do at home, but I don't think they'll have a way to load test it because they would need properly tapered spindle and mounting system for the KZ flywheel and stator.

• Page: