Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZ440 - Front Brake Light Issue 26 Apr 2008 20:16 #209355

• aberg
  • aberg's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey everyone, I ride an 81 KZ440LTD and I'm having a little issue with my brake light. The light comes on every time with the rear brake, but it only comes on when I really pull down on the front brake. The problem is that I rarely need to use that much brake, and I've started to rely on the rear brake too much (i.e. locking it up when braking at higher speeds).

Does anyone know of a way to adjust the brake or the light so that it comes on when the front lever is pulled even slightly? I'm starting to get worried about being rear ended.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ440 - Front Brake Light Issue 26 Apr 2008 22:22 #209374

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337
My '79 750 does the same thing. The front brake has a hydraulic switch to activate the light, the rear is mechanical. The front one usually takes more pull than I am using to light, and sometimes it doesn't light. I just tap the toe to light the brake light anytime I use either brake.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

KZ440 - Front Brake Light Issue 27 Apr 2008 08:11 #209454

• aberg
  • User
That's what I've been doing, but I've realized that it's trained me to lead with the rear brake. Is this the only solution?

KZ440 - Front Brake Light Issue 27 Apr 2008 08:33 #209460

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Could re-adjust the rear brake light switch so as to activate the light at the very beginning of pushing downward on the brake pedal and before the beginning of any rear braking action whatever.

As already suggested, simply toeing the rear brake pedal with then activate the brake light without any actual braking performance.

Don't know about any variances among hydraulic front brake switches. Mine is pretty stiff. Have used the "toe pedal" method for many years and still do at anytime desired to alert a following vehicle.

As known, the vast majority of braking power is via the front brake.

Good Luck! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

KZ440 - Front Brake Light Issue 27 Apr 2008 09:14 #209469

• Qdude
  • User
  • It is all good.
  • Thank you received: 1
Same issue, same query, different timing.

If I understand it correctly, there is no way to adjust the front brake light sensitivity. But we do have the dash idiot light, and the ability to adjust the back brake light sensitivity as Patton suggested.

This is what I ended up doing as well.

I rationalize it in the fact that these are older bikes with outdated technology. If braking safety involves an extra step, so be it. Learn to be a more competent rider than those guys with all the latest bells and whistle gizmos.

This is part of what I enjoy about owning an older bike.
77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

KZ440 - Front Brake Light Issue 27 Apr 2008 09:17 #209470

• Qdude
  • User
  • It is all good.
  • Thank you received: 1
Oh yeah, adjust your rear brake linkage so that you have some dead push. I have about an inch at the pedal of which half activates the rear lamp.

It has taught me to co-ordinate my braking.
77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

KZ440 - Front Brake Light Issue 27 Apr 2008 10:09 #209492

• aberg
  • User
Will do. Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help.

KZ440 - Front Brake Light Issue 27 Apr 2008 21:11 #209665

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337
Patton wrote:

Could re-adjust the rear brake light switch so as to activate the light at the very beginning of pushing downward on the brake pedal and before the beginning of any rear braking action whatever.

That's what I did.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

• Page: