Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Spark Plug Boots 25 Apr 2008 18:39 #209127

• Saki Jockey
  • Saki Jockey's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
After an exhaustive search, I've finally found a roll (50 feet of it none the less!) of 7mm supressor spark plug wire ('salright, I ditched the resistor plugs for american spec ngk d8ea. My question is, do the the spark plug boots on a 550 coil thread on and off of the wire or are they crimped?

Thanks,
Rob.
Rob A.
550 A4
GTA,
Ontario, Canada

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Spark Plug Boots 25 Apr 2008 19:35 #209138

• H2RICK
  • User
  • Is this a fun bike, or what!!!
  • Thank you received: 1

do the the spark plug boots on a 550 coil thread on and off of the wire or are they crimped?

I'm not quite sure which end you're asking about.....but the stock plug caps screw on and off with a right hand thread. If your coil has the knurled removable connector nuts on the coil towers then the wire screws into the towers with a right hand thread, as well. If you look down into the wire side of the plug caps and/or the coil towers, you'll see a threaded post with a sharp pointy end.
A word of advice: clean the threaded post on the plug caps and the coil towers with some spray contact cleaner. Let them dry for about 30 seconds or so and then pack them full up with dielectric grease BEFORE winding the high tension lead(s) into them. The dielectric grease will promote conductivity, prevent corrosion AND keep moisture out. ANY electrical contact or connection will benefit from spray contact cleaner and a good slathering of dieletric grease. I keep a tube of it to hand whenever I'm messing with electrical stuff on a bike, especially older ones. One exception to this rule is the actual contact surfaces of ignition points. Use only spray contact cleaner on them and NO dielectric grease.
KZ650C2 Stock/mint. Goes by "Ace".
H2A Built from a genuine basket case. Yes,it's a hot rod.
GT550A Stock/mint. Pleasant stroker.
2006 Bandit 1200S for easy LD rapid transit
Various H2 projects in the wings.

Spark Plug Boots 27 Apr 2008 19:03 #209637

• Saki Jockey
  • Saki Jockey's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Exactly what I wanted to know, thanks for your response.

Ps. Miles (literally) ahead on the dielectric grease. After washing it, cleaning and applying dielectric grease to every electrical connection was 2nd on the list.

Rob.
Rob A.
550 A4
GTA,
Ontario, Canada

Last edit: by Saki Jockey.
  • Page: