Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Regulator 25 Apr 2008 13:01 #209060

• FireFighterRon
  • FireFighterRon's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
i have a 1983 KZ1100 A3 and i belive the Regulator is shot.. the bike will run, But right now its in a non-running state and i cant bye a new batt right now beacuse i have went threw 3 batt and they run about 65.00 a pice hear..... but anyhow how do i test the Regulator with it being off the bike is it possable ? i dont have a book so as much info would help alot .. thanks all
Instructions for riding a KZ1100 1) sit on bike, 2) start bike and idle till warm, 3) pull in clutch, put in gear, 4) release clutch and rip on the throttle, 5)VERY IMPORTANT!!HOLD THE F*** ON!!!, 6) Enjoy!! Side effects may include whiplash, wrinkle free skin and an evil smile resembling the"Joker"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Regulator 25 Apr 2008 16:21 #209099

• tjhiggin
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I've scanned in 2 pages from the shop manual that describe how to test the rectifier and regulator.

page 5-7

page 5-8

If you don't have a shop manual, you definitely need to get one. They come up on ebay all the time.

Good luck, hope this helps.
T.J. in Huntsville, Alabama
1983 KZ1100-A3, 1974 Honda CB550-4
Previous bikes: CB100, TS125, CB175, KZ400, CB500-4

Regulator 25 Apr 2008 19:53 #209141

• H2RICK
  • User
  • Is this a fun bike, or what!!!
  • Thank you received: 1
Ron:
Since most people don't have a 24 volt battery laying around, it is effectively impossible to check the regulator portion of the regulator/rectifier.
The easiest way to test the reg/rect is to install it on the bike with a fully charged battery connected as normal. Step 1:Check the battery voltage with your meter and make note of the tester reading.
Step 2:Start the bike up and then with your tester set to 20 volts DC, put the positive (red) probe on the positive battery cable and the negative (black) probe onto a good ground on the frame or engine. At idle (~1200RPM), you'll be reading battery voltage (noted in Step 1 above) which will decrease as you watch.
Step 3:If you rev the engine above ~3000 RPM the meter should read an increasing voltage until you reach ~14 to 14.5 volts when it should show a decrease back to ~13.7 volts or so. If you do NOT see an increase above battery voltage, you've PROBABLY (but not always) got a reg/rect problem. Toss it and get a new/good used one.
KZ650C2 Stock/mint. Goes by "Ace".
H2A Built from a genuine basket case. Yes,it's a hot rod.
GT550A Stock/mint. Pleasant stroker.
2006 Bandit 1200S for easy LD rapid transit
Various H2 projects in the wings.

• Page: