Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

dyna s install 24 Apr 2008 16:21 #208814

• osirus_4
  • osirus_4's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I bought a dyna s ignition and am ready to install it on my 1981 KZ750. Am I supposed to bypass the IC igniter? Or can I wire it through the factory set-up? The instruction I have are for replacing points not a pre-existing electronic ignition.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

dyna s install 24 Apr 2008 17:08 #208822

• The Milkman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 194
Unless you are having a problem with your current electronic system, why would you swap it out with another style electronic system? I don't really think you will gain much unless you are changing the coils too, which should be done even if you were replacing the points system.
But, as far as installing the Dyna, that will eliminate the ignitor because the electronics are built into the pickups on the Dyna system.
If you haven't already done so do the coil relay mod on Wiredgeorge's website while you are installing the Dyna. That will give you the most bang for any buck.
As always, just my two cents.. ;) ;)
Ride safe
78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

dyna s install 24 Apr 2008 18:27 #208840

• osirus_4
  • User
I am having troubles with the factory electric ignition, the pick-up for 1 and 4 only works from time to time. Just to confirm, I can bypass the existing electrics and install the dyna s and wired georges mod and it will all work great.

dyna s install 24 Apr 2008 19:22 #208861

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
The only issue is that the Dyna S is to be used with 3-ohm or higher coils. Your stock electronic ignition coils are around 2.5 ohms. So if you are replacing the coils too then you're fine. Others have used the Dyna S with the 2.5 ohm coils and had no problems, though, so you may be fine either way. The Dyna S will make your stock coils get hotter than normal, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to consider new coils anyway. 25 year-old coils can get you stranded in the rain.

dyna s install 24 Apr 2008 19:55 #208869

• Qdude
  • User
  • It is all good.
  • Thank you received: 1
How do you determine the resistance of your coils?

What do you measure OHM's across? The big wires going to the plugs, or the small ones from power yellow/red, to ignition ground green and black?

I simply installed a dyna-s on my bike to replace a smashed aftermarket electroninc ignition on my crashed 77 650 C1.

I hope that the recommended Dyna-s I bought, is truly compatible with my bike and its coils.
77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

dyna s install 25 Apr 2008 05:45 #208934

• tw..
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
loudhvx wrote:

The Dyna S will make your stock coils get hotter than normal, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to consider new coils anyway. 25 year-old coils can get you stranded in the rain.

That's exactly what happened to me and it fried the Dyna S as well. Definitly upgrade to Dyna coils with the dyna ignition.
2-1976 KZ900 A4
1995 KZ1000 Police bike
1978 Z1R

dyna s install 25 Apr 2008 06:44 #208948

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Coils have two sets of copper windings. Each set of windings has a specific range of resistance that is acceptable. The primary windings are supposed to be 3 Ohm as has been pointed out. On most 3 Ohm coils, the range of resistance will be in the 3.2 to 4.2 Ohm range. To check primary resistance, use a multimeter in Ohms scale in the lowest scale and with the bike OFF, put your probes on the two lugs where the power and ignition wire connect to the coil (the two small wires). You will read the primary resistance. If you are using the original coils, it makes sense to make this check as values outside the range noted indicate a potential short (and problem). The secondary windings also have a resistance range, usually between 12-20K Ohms. To measure your coils, put your meter in Ohms scale in a range that can read the higher value. The trick here is what type of coils you have. If you have coils where the plug wires can be removed, remove the plug wires and measure at the contact points where the plug wires make contact with the coils. If the wires are epoxied in place, measure on the contacts where the wires contact the plugs. Measuring at this location can often be tough and sometimes it is hard to get a good reading.

The original question is how to wire the Dyna S up... you remove your stock ignition plate and pickup coils. You remove the stock IC Igniter. Essentially the black wire from the Dyna S pickup will go up and connect with your 1 & 4 coil and the green wire will connect to your 2 & 3 coil. The Dyna S may use little bands colored black and green on the actual wires to designate which wire is which. There is a center rotor on the end of your crank supplied by Dyna that has a magnet embedded (it is painted over and shows up as a small depression about the size of a pencil eraser) that is painted over. This magnet needs to be oriented at about the 9 oclock position, as I recall, with the 1&4 pistons set at TDC.

Won't try and give complete instructions as Dyna has already done this and these instructions are available on their website - www.dynaonline.com
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

dyna s install 25 Apr 2008 14:15 #209072

• osirus_4
  • User
I have removed the IC igniter and the factory pick-up assembly. What I am left with is one female connector that is located under the seat that has one black wire, one green wire, one red wire and one black wire with a yellow line. What comes out at the ignition coils is two red wires, one black wire and one green wire. Does this sound right? What I am asking is I am having trouble understanding the "#86 relay trigger" set-up in wired georges instructions. I have two red wired with female connections at the coils and I have a red and a black/yellow with a black and a green on a female connection that was previously hooked into the IC igniter. Are any of these the wires I want to use for the relay?

Last edit: by osirus_4.

dyna s install 25 Apr 2008 15:57 #209091

• osirus_4
  • User
I think I have it figured out. I had a red/yellow wire coming out of the igniter. It became a red wire on the other side of the wire harness and then split into two reds that both attached to the ignition coils. Is that right? Where I am running into confusion is with the black and green wires. Can i just ignore them and run new wires up from the Dyna S directly to the coils? This would save me a lot of headaches.

dyna s install 25 Apr 2008 19:27 #209136

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
Yes, you can run replacement wires from the DYna S to the coils for Green and Black. The old green and black from the coils went to the factory igniter which is now gone, so you can just unplug them and tape them off somewhere in case you go back to factory later.

dyna s install 26 Apr 2008 08:49 #209220

• osirus_4
  • User
Thanks for the help and sorry for the stupid questions. I was having trouble doing the wired george rewire because I couldn't wrap my head around the relay trigger. I thought that if I removed the two red wires to the coils it would affect the circuit. I then looked at the factory wiring diagram and now realize that the red/yellow wire which on my bike is just a red wire also goes to the kill switch. I do have one question I need answered. The female harness has four wires. One is red and is the power for the coils. the black and green wires are for the ignition. What does the black/yellow wire do? Is that a ground wire for something?

dyna s install 26 Apr 2008 23:25 #209387

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
osirus_4 wrote:

Thanks for the help and sorry for the stupid questions. I was having trouble doing the wired george rewire because I couldn't wrap my head around the relay trigger. I thought that if I removed the two red wires to the coils it would affect the circuit. I then looked at the factory wiring diagram and now realize that the red/yellow wire which on my bike is just a red wire also goes to the kill switch. I do have one question I need answered. The female harness has four wires. One is red and is the power for the coils. the black and green wires are for the ignition. What does the black/yellow wire do? Is that a ground wire for something?

Yes, black with yellow stripe is usually ground on KZ's. If you mean the connector where the igniter was, then it was the ground for the igniter. If it's yellow with a black stripe, then I don't know what it's for.

• Page: