Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

What to do about brass shims when switching to Dyna coils on 650? 23 Apr 2008 23:19 #208652

• old650
  • old650's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Jeez, every time I come back on this site it looks different.. ok. Anyway, I pulled the war pony out of hibernation a few weeks ago and it's still running fine on the old factory coils and points set up. I am tired of doinking with points so I bought the whole Dyna set up for my 650. I've been ultra busy but quickly checked out the coil retaining bolts and found a brass skirt that slips over the coil retaining/mounting bolt. This skirt WILL NOT fit into the green Dyna coil mounting hole. Can I toss the brass sleeve and just mount the Green coils? What was the purpose of this sleeve?

Any quick tips on mounting the green coils on a 650 are appreciated. Thanks.

Ya, I should do a search but I'm a lazy weasle.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

What to do about brass shims when switching to Dyna coils on 650? 24 Apr 2008 04:30 #208670

• BSKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
I dont think I have ever seen that before,, must be something for a ground I guess,,, you should be able to bole the new coils in place of the old ones
77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

What to do about brass shims when switching to Dyna coils on 650? 24 Apr 2008 05:22 #208678

• bill_wilcox100
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
I installed Dyna Black coils. The only brass I have is a spacer between coil body and coil mounting bracket. :dry:

Unfortunatly, it comes very close to the +12 Volt input screw. Other members have reported that these can and do short. :(

To prevent that from happening to me on the best riding day of the year (don't ask), I used shrik tubing and so-far-so-good. B)

Best of success.
1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada

Last edit: by bill_wilcox100.

What to do about brass shims when switching to Dyna coils on 650? 25 Apr 2008 06:21 #208944

• Bluemeanie
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
It was just a spacer, my Andrews coils bolted up just like stockers.
1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!
Attachments:

What to do about brass shims when switching to Dyna coils on 650? 25 Apr 2008 09:40 #208998

• The Milkman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 194
I just used some long nylon shims from the hardware store eliminates any problem of grounding.
78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

What to do about brass shims when switching to Dyna coils on 650? 26 Apr 2008 06:36 #209202

• 76 LTD
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I used the nylon bushings from Ace hardware 1 inch will work but i got 1and1/2 inch then trimmed them downa to about 1and 1/4.gives plenty of clearance for the coil terminals.i think they cost less than $3 for 4 of them.

What to do about brass shims when switching to Dyna coils on 650? 26 Apr 2008 08:41 #209216

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
old650 wrote:

... checked out the coil retaining bolts and found a brass skirt that slips over the coil retaining/mounting bolt. This skirt WILL NOT fit into the green Dyna coil mounting hole. Can I toss the brass sleeve and just mount the Green coils? What was the purpose of this sleeve?....

Am thinking the brass skirt used in mounting the old coils was to reduce the hole diameter and thereby allow a snug fit for the mounting bolt. Perhaps to avoid slop in the fit which might otherwise allow some slight movement in the attachment.

The mounting holes in the Dyna coils have smaller diameters, so using the same old mounting bolts doesn't require the brass skirt downsizing sleeve (if that is the question). So, yes, just mount the new Dynas without the brass skirt.

The spacers used in mounting the coil are used in both types of coils. Regarding the close proximity between Dyna bolt heads (at primary winding terminals) and the metal coil mounting spacer, it is important to prevent possibility of a short in this area. There is already some excellent advice here about insulating the bolt heads from the metal spacer. Or using a nylon spacer instead of the metal spacer.

Another option is using a nylon tie wrap pulled tightly around the existing metal spacer to serve as an insulator. This pic shows the two smaller tie wraps I used long ago as a quick temporary fix. :lol:

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

• Page: