• Page:

TOPIC:

ignition switch (large white wire) 21 Apr 2008 18:46 #208081

• ran429
  • ran429's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Master of FREE rides!
  • Thank you received: 2
ok, on the ignition switch (kz1000P) my large white wire leading back to the fuse box (Now a stand alone spade fuse) with a 30 amp fuse in line gets hot (not the new fuse, just the wire, and i dont know why other than the system is overloaded with lighting so this larger white power lead is too small for the load the bike has lighting wise??

I cant figure out or understand why this fuse would get so hot the way it does.
Maybe i should just replace it with a new lead all the way to the new fuse i installed?
Does old wiring get hot like this alot? my older bikes never had this issue and they all sat outside in the weather for over ten years+

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by ran429.

ignition switch (large white wire) 21 Apr 2008 19:01 #208086

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
That heat is from resistance, and it probably means the circuit still has a fair amount of corrosion despite you replacing the old glass fuse clips with a new spade setup. Keep searching and cleaning all connections.

As an example, the white plastic connector between my stator and reg/rec was so corroded, it got hot enough to melt the plastic connector. Honest, it looked like the drippings from a candle.When I managed to pull it apart it was all corroded inside. I cut it out and have had no problems since.
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

ignition switch (large white wire) 21 Apr 2008 19:30 #208092

• ran429
  • User
  • Master of FREE rides!
OKC_Kent wrote:

That heat is from resistance, and it probably means the circuit still has a fair amount of corrosion despite you replacing the old glass fuse clips with a new spade setup. Keep searching and cleaning all connections.

As an example, the white plastic connector between my stator and reg/rec was so corroded, it got hot enough to melt the plastic connector. Honest, it looked like the drippings from a candle.When I managed to pull it apart it was all corroded inside. I cut it out and have had no problems since.

mine was also melted so i cut it off and soldered each wire and shrink wrapped them today, Lighting is hella bright now :woohoo:
the white connector and the red connector was melted nicely.
I couldnt stand it so i went ahead and deleted it, had to cut back the wires like 3 inches to get shiny copper again though.

there is a connector dead center under the tank that is my next repair, the plastic looks as if it was out in the arizona sun for 8 years and breaks to bits if moved. Maybe that will make things just a bit better.
I will be going wire by wire through the whole bike and direct connecting them with new connectors.
some day when i get a garage (god willing) i will tear the whole bike down and rebuild the whole wiring harness.

ignition switch (large white wire) 22 Apr 2008 02:42 #208145

• Qdude
  • User
  • It is all good.
  • Thank you received: 1
I rebuilt my wiring harness in the front room of my apartment. Thank you blue tarp and window blinds.:laugh:
77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

ignition switch (large white wire) 22 Apr 2008 05:39 #208165

• ran429
  • User
  • Master of FREE rides!
Qdude wrote:

I rebuilt my wiring harness in the front room of my apartment. Thank you blue tarp and window blinds.:laugh:

im married to a mean woman. :blink:

ignition switch (large white wire) 22 Apr 2008 07:11 #208187

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Randy, the large gauge white wire is the main power feed from the fuse block to the ignition switch. Open the switch and check the solder joint for the white wire. Check the solder joint or connection of the wire to the fuse block.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

ignition switch (large white wire) 22 Apr 2008 10:45 #208241

• Qdude
  • User
  • It is all good.
  • Thank you received: 1
Yes I am co-habitating with a fiance' now and have come to understand that the mean ones are the normal ones. ;) Yes I am now "lucky" to be even able to work on it in the garage?:huh: It is the angel girls who are the crazy ones. :laugh: Crazy in that they are so few and far between.

Hopefully I am crazy as well in the same vain.
77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

ignition switch (large white wire) 22 Apr 2008 11:35 #208250

• PLUMMEN
  • User
  • Thank you received: 103
Qdude wrote:

Yes I am co-habitating with a fiance' now and have come to understand that the mean ones are the normal ones. ;) Yes I am now "lucky" to be even able to work on it in the garage?:huh: It is the angel girls who are the crazy ones. :laugh: Crazy in that they are so few and far between.

Hopefully I am crazy as well in the same vain.

:whistle:
Still recovering,some days are better than others.
Attachments:

ignition switch (large white wire) 22 Apr 2008 17:12 #208308

• ran429
  • User
  • Master of FREE rides!
well, im going to replace the white wire soon, just dont want to do it until i get the state patrol inspection on friday.
Dont want to mess the bike up accidently beforehand.

I should wash it though and make it presentable atleast. ( I want to rip it up and down the road badly, but its illegal) sucks not living in Cow town anylonger.

• Page: