• Page:

TOPIC:

Any help on cleaning old connections and wires? 13 Apr 2008 23:26 #206288

• Six9GS
  • Six9GS's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey all,
Been a long time since I've been here. I got a 78 KZ650. I had an electrical malfunction that basically killed my bike. I've never been very happy at the wiring on the bike anyway, so, this is my excuse to go through the electrcal system and clean connections, replace what's necessary until I like it.
Anyway, 30 year old connectors and wiring can be a problem. I was an electronics technician for many years, so what I'm doing is well within my capabilities. However, in example, I found a broken wire splice in the harness that goes to the instrument light cluster. It was a real pain just to get solder to stick to it. Basically had to run a file on the wire end to mechanically clean the wire before I could get solder on it. WOW.
Anyway, I browsed on Z1 Enterprises site looking for some type of connector cleaner that was geared toward dirty old conncectors and wires. Didn't find anything. So, decide to come here and see how others deal with the old wires and connectors. Especially the female connectors that have a plastic cover over them. Kind of hard to get into them. I could just use steel wool to mechanically clean the male connectors. I'm thinking some 'mildly' corrosive cleaner must be around that the connectors could be dipped in. Perhaps a copper cleaner designed for kitchen pots.

Any and all help, suggestions, experience would be appreciated.

Terry!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Any help on cleaning old connections and wires? 13 Apr 2008 23:38 #206289

• EddieBoy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
i just use regular soldering flux...heat the wire then dip in the flux...reheat...then tin the wire.

also radio shack has electric contact cleaner that works good for corrosion.

Any help on cleaning old connections and wires? 13 Apr 2008 23:45 #206290

• Six9GS
  • User
Hey EddieBoy,

Yea, on 'normal' wiring and such that's what I'd do. However, the solder flux multiple dip (which I tried) was a COMPLETE miss. Didn't even touch the corrosion on the copper wire. Likewise, 'normal' connector cleaner is entirely too lightweight to clean these connections. If it were a practical option, I'd just replace the wiring. However, that isn't a practical option on one of these old bikes. A single wire here and there is one thing. But, I'm going through the whole wiring system, looking for shorts and opens as I go.

Anyway, thanks for the experience.

Terry!

Any help on cleaning old connections and wires? 14 Apr 2008 00:07 #206296

• EddieBoy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
the wiring is fairly simple on these older bikes...if the flux wont clean the corrosion it maybe that its too deep or has totally destroyed the wire. if you do get it clean
how much of the wire is left to solder too. as example a 16ga corroded wire will carry less than a new 22ga
....your a tech know what i mean.
the harness can be changed in a few hours
usually a harness on ebay...
id be leary of kitchen cleaners and acids around your stainless and aluminum parts...just the fumes can turn them black.

so is not really an experience as much as just the way you choose to solve a problem.

Goodluck
Ed

Last edit: by EddieBoy.

Any help on cleaning old connections and wires? 14 Apr 2008 00:25 #206298

• Six9GS
  • User
Thanks Ed,
I appreciate the idea. Since wiring harnesses aren't available on Z1 Enterprises site, I sort of assumed that NOS wiring harnesses are pretty rare. I was thinking that on e-bay, I'd simply be getting another harness off and old bike that possibly/probably is not in any better shape than the one I have. Obviously if I had a melted harness, another harness off a different bike would be helpful. But, that's not really my situation. I'm also limited on funds. This bike is basically my to work and back ride, it's not a prestine spotless bike and with my other financial obligations (kids & wife) I have to be practical when possible.
Anyway, gotta get off for the night and get some sut eye. Thanks for your help and ideas.
Terry!

Any help on cleaning old connections and wires? 14 Apr 2008 04:54 #206303

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Here's a link with some interesting information and ideas for possible consideration --

Me! Me! Pick me!

Good Luck! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Any help on cleaning old connections and wires? 14 Apr 2008 06:19 #206316

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 376
On the female connectors, I will use a small round file to get into the connector and clean as best I can. Then soak it with a sprayed Contact cleaner. Then add dielectric grease to the clean Male plug, and snap them together.
New plugs would be the best.
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

Any help on cleaning old connections and wires? 14 Apr 2008 07:06 #206333

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Any autoparts store sells electrical contact cleaner (spray). Spray the connectors and then daub them with dielectric grease. If you are having problems soldering, it is because the wire in question has significant oxidation. If this is the case, replace the wire. While you might get a solder joint to hold, it will likely be a cold solder joint and the wire will only fail in time. You can pick up a FULL connector kit from Z1Enterprises.com - if you call them and talk to them. With this kit, you can replace any questionable connector. Many GOOD autopart stores have light gauge wire in a variety of colors. Be careful to try and match the original colors, where possible for ease of maintenance in the future. I have seen bikes wired with all one color wire and they can be a nightmare to work on.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: