Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

DYNA S Question 13 Apr 2008 15:57 #206176

• markerdown
  • markerdown's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
A friend of mine gave me this DYNA S years ago when he sold his KAW. He bought it used somewhere and never put it in. My Z2 is having ignition issues and it's time I changed points. Since I've never seen one of these, I took a pic of what was in the box. It looks pretty much complete, plate, rotor, allenstock, a wiring connection and instructions. Am I missing anything? Is there a way to test this thing before I put it in? I'm an ol' points and condenser kinda guy and have no problems with installing new points, but if this is going to make my kaw run better, I figure it's worth a shot............markerdown
The Need for Speed Never Dies
\\\\\\\'75 Z2 750
\\\\\\\'76 KZ900
\\\\\\\'73 Z1 900 restoration project
\\\\\\\'73 Cuda 340 restoration project
2018 Z900RS
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by markerdown.

DYNA S Question 15 Apr 2008 17:10 #206754

• Six9GS
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm pretty sure I saw this on Z1Enterprises web site. I'd go there and look at that photo to see if it looks like it is all there.
I'm a little unsure if just replacng the points to the Dyna S is sufficient. You might need to change the coils also. I know that the coil impedence on bikes with points and bike with electronic ignition are different and that this matters. However, I'm not clear on the details, so I'd rather not say which way is which. Hopefully some of the knowledable gurus here can speak to that. I know when I had to replace a coil on my 78 KZ650 I explored the options available and got lucky and ended up with a complete Dyna III (I think) system, with coils!! off of ebay for a reasonable price.
Good Luck to you.

DYNA S Question 15 Apr 2008 17:50 #206766

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 237
It looks like it's all there. All there is to it is simply removing your existing points plate and rotor, installing the new rotor and dyna plate then plug the wiring right into the wiring your points was plugged into, then running your power wire to a 12v supply point somewhere. Better off to solder direct and not use that IDC splice. Those can leave you stranded. The only thing to watch for is reversed colored wires possibly on the dyna that would fire the 2-3 and 1-4 coils exactly backwards which has been seen here by a few guys. I never had a problem. The stock coils work just fine with the Dyna S or Dyna 3. In fact I put Dyna coils on my KZ650 and could tell absolutely zero difference and the crap silicon plug wires I used went bad right away, so I went back to original with no problem.
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

DYNA S Question 16 Apr 2008 03:07 #206827

• OnkelB
  • User
  • Thank you received: 80
Just one word of caution: make sure the 12V supply for the pickup coils is 12V SWITCHED power = no power to the pickups with ignition off.

As Ron says there has been some instances of the DynaS colorcodes being wrong, but I believe they got it fixed. Anyway, just like points the left pickup module triggers 1/4 and the right triggers 2/3.
77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.

Last edit: by OnkelB.

DYNA S Question 16 Apr 2008 07:01 #206849

• markerdown
  • markerdown's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I searched the www for pics and from what I've seen, it's all there. I did notice that the wires have the color coded sleeves on them different from the actual wire color. Plus, I have all the original paperwork, so I shouldn't have any problems....(famous last words)

I swapped out my coils in the early 90's with some accels. I've had that particular set of points in the bike for a very long time and I think it's time I swapped them out. I need to do an ohms check on the coils and replace if necessary. I may have a weak /intermittant spark issues.

I've been reading up on the coil mod that WG has on his site. Makes sense to me.

Ahh, the joys of working on a 35 year old bike...If I smoke check anything, I still have a spare Z2 parts bike full of replacement parts :laugh:

Thanks everyone for your assistance.........markerdown
The Need for Speed Never Dies
\\\\\\\'75 Z2 750
\\\\\\\'76 KZ900
\\\\\\\'73 Z1 900 restoration project
\\\\\\\'73 Cuda 340 restoration project
2018 Z900RS

• Page: