• Page:

TOPIC:

Charging Issue- Flywheel Magnetizism? 09 Apr 2008 17:28 #205287

• jtgraha2
  • jtgraha2's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey,

I've recently been having a charging problem with my 1977 KZ750 Twin. I've checked the battery, stator, battery, connections, and regulator. All check out good. Upon taking off the stator cover I noticed alot of hammer marks on the flywheel. I took out my pocket knife and gently moved it toawrds the outside of the flywheel. I could only start feeling the pull 1/8-1/16" from the surface...and it definitely didn't feel like a whole lot. The inside part; right around the flywheel bolt seemed stronger.

My 1st question is how strong is the the fly wheel magnet? Can it hold onto say... a stator cover bolt unsupported on the side? I'm not really sure how to test for enough magnetizism. Maybe someone has a good spare that could do alittle testing for me.

2nd is there a way I can remagnetize the old flywheel?

Thanks,
Jon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Charging Issue- Flywheel Magnetizism? 09 Apr 2008 18:17 #205297

• ronjones
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
On mine, there is a strong magnetic pull on the cover when putting it back on. I actually have a little fight against the pull to position it correctly. I have heard that hammering on a magnet can cause it to lose it magnatism.
'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

Charging Issue- Flywheel Magnetizism? 09 Apr 2008 19:42 #205328

• jtgraha2
  • jtgraha2's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
yeah i've heard the hammering affect too. My flywheel I doubt would hold a quarter 7/16" socket to the side...maybe that can give you an idea of the hold.

Charging Issue- Flywheel Magnetizism? 10 Apr 2008 04:28 #205374

• BSKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
hammering on them will kill them,, as a quick fix see if there is someone who rebuilds magnetos,, they have a machine to recharge the rotor magnets,, mind you they do not last as long as a new one and are not near as strong, but it may be an improvement.
If it is weak I would suspect that is dosent charge well at low rpm
77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

Charging Issue- Flywheel Magnetizism? 10 Apr 2008 06:26 #205387

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
If you end up looking for another rotor, get one from a 76-77 750 twin, the 78 and later ones use a different (better) charging system.

Or get the stator, rotor, sidecover, and regulator, and convert it to the later style.
KD9JUR

• Page: