Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

lack of charging on '77 1000 09 Apr 2008 09:24 #205200

• kzmason
  • kzmason's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I took my bike out the other day for the first long ride. Man, was it awesome! Anyways, I pulled over to stop for a minute and when I tried to start it the battery didn't have the juice to turn over the motor. The battery is new, so that is not the problem.

Before I go drop the scratch for a new stator, what components should I test and how?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

lack of charging on '77 1000 09 Apr 2008 12:27 #205237

• ltdrider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 17
Probably your voltage regulator.
This is the regulator test for KZ900...your bike MAY be the same:
Note: Your battery should be charged and reading at least 12V with the motor off, before starting the test.

Put the volt meter on the (+) and (-) terminals of the battery and start the bike. Run the engine to 4,000rpm. The meter should read between 14 and 15 volts. If it doesn't it's either the dynamo (generator), the rectifier, or the regulator.
To test the regulator, leave the meter connected to the battery, stop the engine, and unplug the green regulator plug from the panel under the right side cover. Restart the engine and bring it up to 4,000rpm. If the meter reads between 14 and 20 volts, the regulator is defective. If the meter reads less than that, then either the dynamo or the rectifier is defective.
The rectifier and dynamo check are more complicated. Hopefully, you won't need to go further.

The regulator is mounted on the battery box, under the battery. If your bikes been rewired and/or the colors don't make sense, you can trace the wires from the regulator to the connector under your side cover.
Good luck!
'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

lack of charging on '77 1000 09 Apr 2008 13:43 #205245

• PLUMMEN
  • User
  • Thank you received: 103
check all your connections also,cables tight?;)
Still recovering,some days are better than others.

lack of charging on '77 1000 09 Apr 2008 15:10 #205258

• ran429
  • User
  • Master of FREE rides!
  • Thank you received: 2
check the black cable ground on the lower right rear of the engine, TIGHTEN IT ANYWAY!,

then take the clearish plastic rectifier connector apart (under side cover) and look at all three YELLOW wire connectors on the rectifier side, resolder them and your bike will charge, make sure it didnt melt the rectifier solder joints.

Last edit: by ran429.

lack of charging on '77 1000 09 Apr 2008 15:11 #205260

• Saki Jockey
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
+1 Plummmen, +1 ltdrider

Check to see if the system is charging as stated by ltdrider.

If it is, check your battery positive and negative connections as per Plummen.

If you still haven't found an issue, it is possible that your starter power circuit connection is weak, or the starter itself is finished.

Proper technique for checking for voltage drop is to set the meter to DC Volts (20 volts or autorange) connect the negative lead of your meter to the battery positive terminal, then connect the meter positive lead to the item / connection you wish to test. In your case that would be the connection at the starter relay (first the battery side, then the starter side when requesting start), then the connection at the starter. Any reading greater than 1 volt with a quality meter needs to be investigated.

Good luck!
Rob A.
550 A4
GTA,
Ontario, Canada

• Page: