• Page:

TOPIC:

83 kz550 M1 08 Apr 2008 18:58 #205114

• stallau
  • stallau's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I was having success - until today.

I've been working on getting this to start a little better (read runs without choke on) since I bought it in November. It has been getting better so I've been working on starting without a lot of cranking. I was trying to start it today and the lights went out and stopped cranking. I now don't get any lights or fuel,neutral and fuel lights don't come on when key is initially turned on.
I had charged the battery yesterday so I put the charger on it and it showed as charged. I assume fuses are next but while I'm there just wondering what next or is that a good bet?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

83 kz550 M1 08 Apr 2008 22:15 #205143

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
If you get nothing, then fuse is a good bet. However, the fuse may not have blown from a short, it may have been dirty. When fuse holders get dirty they have resistance. That resistance causes heat which can melt the fuse. Just clean it if it's dirty or the wires look melted or burned. A bad crimp can also cuase that, but then you have to splice in some new wires or a new fuse holder altogether.

83 kz550 M1 09 Apr 2008 17:32 #205288

• stallau
  • stallau's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm not sure if this is the problem for not starting or why my tach doesn't work. There's a wire near the fuse panel that is black with a yellow stripe. I'm not sure if it's a splice or a factory wrap but it has a semi loose clear wrap around part of it. What made me take notice was that there's all these burn mark in the wrap. I'll get a pic tomorrow - probably about a medium well look to it. I checked the schematics and found a yellow-black combo but not a black-yellow. I'm going to scan the manual pages into the PC so I can print them out on 11 X 17 pages and make it easier to read. One thing I haven't been able to find in the manual is an explanation of the three connectors next to the fuse box. So I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what goes where. I'm assuming one is lights, ignition but just wondering which is which.

• Page: