Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

kx305 no start? 08 Apr 2008 01:25 #204935

• bikedude189
  • bikedude189's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
hi, new to the forum here...and i have a problem...

so i have an old kz305-b1. it has been in the shop several times to try and get it running. finally it is! but then the battery won't hold a charge...so i was told it needed a new starter (it did) a new stator and a new rectifier. got the new parts on and it runs like a champ! but after a ride it doesn't want to start again! it would seem to me that the battery isn't being charged or the flow of electricity is being interrupted on the way to the starter. before i tear into it wiht my multi-meter, i wanted to know if there is a common problem that would cause this? also, the bike will usually start right up (without even cranking over twice!) after sitting overnight. sorry for the long post, but any help would be appreciated. thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

kx305 no start? 09 Apr 2008 13:24 #205242

• bikedude189
  • bikedude189's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
so i went out today and tried to see what i could figure out. the battery is good, i know that. it will start after sitting fine, but if you turn it off it acts like the battery is dead. when running the battery reads about 10 volts, so its not getting enough juice. i have a crappy ohmmeter so i couldn't tell if the rectifier was bad or not and i couldn't get the side cover off (who the h@## decided to put phillips screws on a motorcycle should be beaten...) or disconnect the stator leads. there was no reading on my multimeter when i connected it to the leads with them connected to the battery, i don't know if this is correct or not. if anyone has any ideas i would really appreciate it.

kx305 no start? 09 Apr 2008 15:29 #205262

• Saki Jockey
  • User
So you've got an electrical issue with a 25 year old motorcycle eh???

First, clean every electrical connection you can find. Not kidding. Disassemble and remove corrosion with fine sandpaper, then coat the connection in dielectric grease. Pay special attention to the ground connections from the battery to the frame.

Second, Start the bike, check battery voltage with rpm at 4000 rpm. Assuming your charging system is working (Approx 14 Volts @ 4000rpm), place your battery on slow charge overnight (8 hours).

Brushless charging systems tend to be quite reliable, I have yet to see one fail - that doesn't make it impossible. What's more likely is a loose connection to one of the many recently serviced components (battery, starter, stator and rectifier). Also, lets not rule out a potentially faulty starter, did you have yours refurbished, buy used or new?

P.s. I can appreciate how bad the phillips fastener is. Blame the British, as they popularized it during the first world war rather than paying a few pennys per pound more for the Robertson screw, a far superior (Canadian) fastener. Get thyself to the Snap on truck and buy a proper #1, 2 and 3 phillips (Snap on, NOT BLUE POINT), yes, there is a difference.
Rob A.
550 A4
GTA,
Ontario, Canada

Last edit: by Saki Jockey.
  • Page: