Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Is my speedo toast? 05 Apr 2008 23:09 #204529

• kzmason
  • kzmason's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
My speedo is off by 10mph (fast) at only 40mph and is jumping around. It only has 24k on it. Is it thrashed and needs replacement, or could there be something else. And yes I have stock size tires.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Is my speedo toast? 06 Apr 2008 05:40 #204537

• fixer5000
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
kzmason wrote:

My speedo is off by 10mph (fast) at only 40mph and is jumping around. It only has 24k on it. Is it thrashed and needs replacement, or could there be something else. And yes I have stock size tires.

two possibles here...one is your cable well lubed and not kinked anywhere?? two is it too tightly mounted to the mounting bracket? in other words have you ever at any time added washers to tighten up how it mounts to the bracket? i did this once and that was the effect it gave. sooo instead i replaced all the foam that was dried toast and the problem went away. these things cant be stiffly mounted or they will in fact make the needles jump. same issues with the tach too...check it out...steve
1978 kz650b pretty much stock
\\\\\\\" get there fast but arrive alive \\\\\\\"
massachusetts

Is my speedo toast? 06 Apr 2008 08:10 #204555

• Locozuna
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Remove the cable. Then pull the cable out of the sheath and inspect it. If it is OK lube it up with some grease and put it back on. If it is not OK replace it. Most of the time this will fix the problems. If it's all good but still not performing come back and we'll think tank it some more.:huh:
KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

• Page: