Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

EFI signal on a 1982 Gpz1100 01 Apr 2008 11:23 #203537

• howard95132
  • howard95132's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Does anyone know how the fuel injection on a 1982 Gpz1100 gets it signal to inject fuel? I was trying to connect a Dynatech 2000 ignition and the bike won’t start. My current thinking is that the stock rotor sends a signal to the ECU telling it to inject fuel, and since it’s out of the circuit when using the Dyna 2000, the signal never gets sent, no fuel is injected and the bike won’t start. If this is so, is there a work-around or is this ignition only for carbureted bikes and not for bikes with EFI?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

EFI signal on a 1982 Gpz1100 01 Apr 2008 13:31 #203565

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
IIRC, it gets a signal from the igniter.

Best idea would probably be to find someone that's done it and see what they used to trigger the computer.

If it was me, I'd replace the stock computer with a MegaSquirt EFI controller and use it to control the ignition also. Problem is, the MicroSquirt version sells for $400.

I believe I saw where someone on the MegaSquirt board has already done an 82 GPz1100, but I'm not sure.
KD9JUR

EFI signal on a 1982 Gpz1100 01 Apr 2008 15:19 #203585

• howard95132
  • User
Thanks. This confirms my suspicion. I'm in contact with Raymond of Dynatech to look into it. So far, I haven't found anyone who's done it on an '82 GPz, but Raymond says that he did it on an '83 which also has EFI. Hopefully, I get an answer and a fix, and of course I just removed it last night intending to send it back!

EFI signal on a 1982 Gpz1100 01 Apr 2008 21:16 #203641

• howard95132
  • User
Now that I know what I’m looking for, my bike maintenance manual shows a 3p (3-wire) connector from the IC igniter that has a black, green and red wire. The red wire goes to the main/fuel pump relay. The green and black wires go to the main control unit relaying the engine speed. Since this is removed when using the Dyna 2000, the fuel pump relay doesn’t get a signal to pump fuel and the ECU has no idea that the engine (speed) is running. Ughh!!! I knew this ignition wasn’t designed for my bike. I was certain that I wired it correctly and while my first suspicion was that the engine was receiving a spark at the wrong time, my second was that the IC igniter sent signals vital to the engine running and that its removal was causing my bike not to start. I don’t see a solution, but I’m interested in suggestions as Raymond at Dynatech says that he installed it on a 1983 Gpz.

EFI signal on a 1982 Gpz1100 01 Apr 2008 22:57 #203654

• howard95132
  • User
I figured out how to get it to work. If the main/pump signal is tied high (12V) via the same switched +12V signal to the ignition coil primary, this will enable the fuel pump relay. The green & black wires go from the ‘trigger (other) end’ of the ignition primary to the ECU. If these signals (white & blue in the Dyna circuit) are fed back to the ECU, it will now know the engine speed. I'll know for certain when I wire it up tomorrow, but from examining the wiring diagram in my service manual, this would do it. All of these signals can be fed from the ignition coils via the disconnected IC igniter connector that connects back to the fuel pump relay (red) and ECU (black & green) with three wires and female spade connectors.

Last edit: by howard95132.

EFI signal on a 1982 Gpz1100 03 Apr 2008 01:03 #203900

• howard95132
  • User
Turns out, I was right all along. This whole time I couldn’t understand how the bike ‘knew’ where to fire on startup. It fired at 40 degrees as I said and I know that an engine can’t start at 40 deg. The two primary wires fed back to the ECU send a signal where the rotor is at startup, and the bike starts. It also turns out that the fuel pump was not the issue. If I wire the fuel pump relay it stays on, which is incorrect, so I removed that connection. The only ‘problem’ now is that the tach doesn’t work, but I believe I have the answer to that also. I disconnected the drive circuitry of the tack and wired the 2000 directly to the meter. This is incorrect. I believe I need to wire the tach as it was, and then feed the 2000 green wire to the same tach connection where the IC igniter was.

EFI signal on a 1982 Gpz1100 03 Apr 2008 04:31 #203917

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
It's good to hear that you have it figured out!

If you could make up a schematic or wiring diagram and post it here, it might help the next guy trying to do the same thing.
KD9JUR

EFI signal on a 1982 Gpz1100 11 Apr 2008 13:49 #205791

• howard95132
  • User
Actually, the yellow wire is the correct connection. Everything finally works properly.

• Page: