Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Digital Suzuki speedo & tach 27 Mar 2008 13:18 #202521

• TexasKZ900
  • TexasKZ900's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I have a dash off a Suzuki 2001 GSXR 1000, the picture is attached. Can I make it work on a 1976 KZ900 that I'm rebuilding into a street fighter? Please help!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Digital Suzuki speedo & tach 27 Mar 2008 13:38 #202525

• 77_650B1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I've actually got one from an r1, and i was thinking about using it on a project. The problem is I dont have any idea of what signal the ecu gave to the thing to make it work. If I ever end up using it I was gonna bring it down to school and hook it up to a wave generator and oscilliscope and try to figure out what does the trick, than then try to emulate the signal somehow either with a plc or with some kind of analog setup. The problem is that it night be easier than that, but you really have no way of knowing as the signals coming out of the old ecu could be anything from digital pulses to just voltage ranges.

PS - Its very hard, too hard. You're better off buying an aftermarket unit, i've seen them for $150-200 on various street fighter websites and so on. You just power it, rig up the speedo sensor, and attach the tach wire to somewhere with a tach signal, such as the wire coming off your dyna.
1977 KZ650-B1
-Dual Discs
-Dyna-S
-WG Coil Mod
-Alloy Wheels

Digital Suzuki speedo & tach 27 Mar 2008 13:54 #202529

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337
77_650B1 wrote:

I've actually got one from an r1, and i was thinking about using it on a project. The problem is I dont have any idea of what signal the ecu gave to the thing to make it work. If I ever end up using it I was gonna bring it down to school and hook it up to a wave generator and oscilliscope and try to figure out what does the trick, than then try to emulate the signal somehow either with a plc or with some kind of analog setup.

It would be easier if you could scope the output waveform from the sending unit on the bike it goes on.... I'll bet it triggers off the pulses coming from the magnetic sensors used to fire the CDI.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

Last edit: by bountyhunter.

Digital Suzuki speedo & tach 27 Mar 2008 14:16 #202534

• 77_650B1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Oh for sure. It'd still involve a scope and junk though. PAIN IN THE ASS. So yeah I'm gonna get an aftermarket one for my project.
1977 KZ650-B1
-Dual Discs
-Dyna-S
-WG Coil Mod
-Alloy Wheels

• Page: