• Page:

TOPIC:

Timing marks... 25 Mar 2008 13:22 #202138

• Qdude
  • Qdude's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • It is all good.
  • Thank you received: 1
Just threw in a new Dyna-S ignition and set the timing with my new timing light. I fixed about 20 things after a crash and was in a hurry to get on the bike again after a month and a half of down time, so I was not as detail oriented as I usually am. The engine runs well enough. But reading some of the posts on tuning has got me thinking that I had better look into this a little more.

Concerns

Should I tune both coils individually? The excess wire was too tight for me to be able to get the reading clamp over the wires to individual coils so I went for the bundle near the plug and tuned them together. This of course will not allow you to set each coil individually. How important is it to do this individual thing (as was mentioned in the installation instructions)?

As I intend to tune them individually anyhow now, can someone describe that advanced timing mark 'half inch to the right' of the un-advanced marks that I am to time the bike to at 2500 rpm (full advance). What are reasonable tolerances here? Give or take a millimeter or two?

Should the timing be right on the mark, or just up to it, or just past it?

Any suggestions?

I'm going to tune the whole system now.
In order;
Timing adjust
Fuel supply and filters cleaning
Air filters cleaning
Spark plugs replacement
Jetting
needle settings
Spark plugs again

Cheers,

Q
77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Qdude.
  • Page: