• Page:

TOPIC:

Replacement coils? 25 Mar 2008 11:50 #202124

• WA1DH
  • WA1DH's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi,

I'm trying to fix my dad's 1979 KZ650 which has no spark on one of the cylinders. The coils and wires are original and I would like to change both, but the wires seem to be built into the coils(?) I can't find any replacement coils that don't have wires attached to them. I own a 1979 Yamaha XS650 with points ignition and the coils have these screw-in connectors for the plug wires. I would like to use coils like that so I can swap wires when I want to.

Which aftermarket coils will work with the 79 KZ650?

Thanks,
Doug

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replacement coils? 25 Mar 2008 13:57 #202141

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
z1enterprises will have some Dyna coils and another less expensive brand of coil that will work.

Have you tested the wiring to the coil, are you getting voltage to the coil?

Also your shop manual will have a test procedure to measure the ohms of the coil, you should do that before buying a new one.
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

Replacement coils? 26 Mar 2008 06:54 #202236

• markc3wa
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I just went through this myself. I really had to work to test the secondary impedance on the coils so I suspected that I wasn't getting good continuity to the spark plug caps. I removed them and clipped off about 1/4" of wire. I replaced the caps and tested the coils again. That worked and I was able to test the coils successfully. After that, I was able to find the bad spark plug in the number three cylinder. The combination of poor continuity and a bad plug nearly had me spending $120 on new coils that I don't need ... yet. Good luck.

Replacement coils? 26 Mar 2008 10:08 #202276

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337
WA1DH wrote:

Hi,

I'm trying to fix my dad's 1979 KZ650 which has no spark on one of the cylinders. The coils and wires are original and I would like to change both, but the wires seem to be built into the coils(?) I can't find any replacement coils that don't have wires attached to them. I own a 1979 Yamaha XS650 with points ignition and the coils have these screw-in connectors for the plug wires. I would like to use coils like that so I can swap wires when I want to.

Which aftermarket coils will work with the 79 KZ650?

Thanks,
Doug

This place sells new OEM replacement coils with wires for the KZ650 for $55. You won't beat that price.

www.regulatorrectifier.com/catalog/kawas...ion-coil-p-1629.html
1979 KZ-750 Twin

Replacement coils? 26 Mar 2008 11:49 #202295

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
WA1DH wrote:

...wires seem to be built into the coils(?) I can't find any replacement coils that don't have wires attached to them. I own a 1979 Yamaha XS650 with points ignition and the coils have these screw-in connectors for the plug wires. I would like to use coils like that so I can swap wires when I want to....

Here's a plug wire splicer --

Z1E Plug Wire Splicer
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• Page: