Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Extra Lights 20 Mar 2008 20:08 #201286

• mikemac01
  • mikemac01's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello there and I have a couple questions you may be able to answer for me. I have a 77 KZ750 Twin and want to add some more lights. I enjoy riding at night and the regular headlight was a little less than sufficient. I upgraded it last season and helped greatly. I am still looking for a little more light. The so called pot holes around here will eat a motorcycle if you are not careful. I was thinking of adding a set of fog or driving lights. Will the stock electrical system and charging system handle the extra draw. I am running the stock points and charging system. I figured you guys would know and I am sure some are doing it. Please let me know what you think or if you know what will work. Thank You

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Extra Lights 20 Mar 2008 20:46 #201297

• Qdude
  • User
  • It is all good.
  • Thank you received: 1
My 77 650 4 cylinder (which had a separate rectifier, regulator and generator) had an extremely weak beam from the headlight. I think that it ended up being the rectifier since the rectifier caught fire shortly after I added a stronger headlight. Perhaps the age and or extra power draw was too much for it.

I built a rectifier for less than 30 bucks from parts from radio shack. I would be happy to get you the plans for it. And I bought a new regulator from a guy in Oregon. This helped my system keep a much more consistent level of power. The old regulator would have such extreme voltage swings. The new one keeps the voltage consistently around 14.5 volts, with no swings. I just recently took the volt-meter off of my bike for confidence in its soundness. I could get you that info too. (about 60 bucks) Now I have power to spare.

I might add that I have also upgraded the ignition to the Dyna-S. I am not sure if that has much to do with the equation concerning lamp power, but there it is.

P.M. me if you would like to get any of the info I mentioned so you can research it a little more.
77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

Extra Lights 20 Mar 2008 21:01 #201298

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Qdude wrote:

I might add that I have also upgraded the ignition to the Dyna-S. I am not sure if that has much to do with the equation concerning lamp power, but there it is.

You're right. The Dyna S uses just under twice as much average power than the stock points for a KZ650.

The rectifier upgrade you mentioned might be this:
www.geocities.com/loudgpz/GPZdiy3phaseRectifier.html

Extra Lights 20 Mar 2008 21:16 #201300

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337
mikemac01 wrote:

Hello there and I have a couple questions you may be able to answer for me. I have a 77 KZ750 Twin and want to add some more lights. I enjoy riding at night and the regular headlight was a little less than sufficient. I upgraded it last season and helped greatly. I am still looking for a little more light.

I have the '79 KZ750 twin. When I was night riding a lot, I did the following:

1) Install a 7" round halogen sealed headlightr unit in place of the stock headlight. It has the usual 35W/55W power but is much brighter.

2) I also added a second light I mounted on top of the front fender which was a 55W halogen driving light.

I used to drive with both hi-beams on and never cooked anything, so I guess the alternator could handle it. The second 55W light had it's own 8A fuse and power feed.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

Extra Lights 20 Mar 2008 21:55 #201307

• Qdude
  • User
  • It is all good.
  • Thank you received: 1
Yes, that was the rectifier!!
77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

• Page: