• Page:

TOPIC:

Handlebar Switches... making the change 18 Mar 2008 21:24 #200886

• Wizid
  • Wizid's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all,

I'm new to KZs and just got a KZ1000P in wonderful condition. I find the handlebar switches a bit buggering tho, to have a whole range of switches that don't do anything (any longer) as well as not being able to self-cancel my blinkers.

My last project was a '76 Yam XS500C which I'd bought new handlebar switches for - but never installed. So I now intend to install them on the KZ this weekend, so I can go back to riding without having to glance down nervously to make sure I've done what I was hoping to do.. no more fumbling to manually cancel the auto cancelling signals.

Right so here's what I've got on the bike, and on my desk:

My question is on what KZ if any did they use these switches, and if any between '81-'02? If not, anywhere to find the wire diagram for the KZ with these switches?

It would make the whole project a lot easier.

Thanks fellas.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Handlebar Switches... making the change 21 Mar 2008 03:28 #201321

• Wizid
  • User

Well I finally found the right diagrams, now I just gotta figure out the exact method to tie in the new switches to the old harness, and then go about doing it. Should be done by Sunday morning.

What amazes me is that the metal cased switches I got are just as well made as the Sparx switches I got for my '73 Triumph, and were $30 cheeper not to mention the savings on not having to get them from England... I'm telling ya, the next time I wire up an old Brit bike with updated switch gear I'm going to use these Jap switches. The value of them is mind numbing, I can see why so many have done it before...

granted I'll have to wait till I get a Brit bike that has either an electric leg, or turnsignals to actually do it.. but time will sort that.

Handlebar Switches... making the change 21 Mar 2008 04:59 #201327

• The Gringo
  • User
  • ¡Usted no necesita otra motocicleta!
  • Thank you received: 11
Those are pretty nice looking switches where did you pick them up from and what do they cost? Looks like the only thing you are going to lose is the 4 way flasher function. Also I'm curious if the throttle side switch is going to work ok with your stock cable and twist grip tube. If everything works out for you, you can probably list the old ones on ebay and recoup most of your money.
Andy
Akron, Ohio
80 Z-1 Classic-Sold
84 GPZ1100
79 KZ 1000 LTD
78 KZ 1000 A2
77 KZ 1000 LTD-Sold
76 KZ 900 The definition of a barn find
76 KZ 900-Sold gone to Denmark
KZ 750 times 3, KZ 650 times 8 Sold 1 down to 7
KZ 550 times 2 80 440LTD-Sold
81 CSR 305-Sold 81 Yamaha XS650 Special

Handlebar Switches... making the change 21 Mar 2008 07:42 #201349

• Wizid
  • User
The Gringo wrote:

Those are pretty nice looking switches where did you pick them up from and what do they cost? Looks like the only thing you are going to lose is the 4 way flasher function. Also I'm curious if the throttle side switch is going to work ok with your stock cable and twist grip tube. If everything works out for you, you can probably list the old ones on ebay and recoup most of your money.

They are very nice. I am quite pleased with the quality. You can find them at www.mikesxs.net under the Electrical section. They run $46 each for the style I got, you can get them in Chrome for $56 each.

It had not until this moment occured to me that the Throttle may be different. You are quite correct, I cannot remember if its a single cable or a double, nor if it enters from the front or the rear. Depending on that I can get a throttle body that will suite these switches for an additional $10, or simply steal the one off the XS500C.

Right after I finish typing this, I'm going to run out to the garage and have a look.

Edit:

You're quite right. It would take another $40 in parts, I can't know until I take the tank off. $30 for a 1:2 throttle cable, and $10 for a single throttle body.

I feel quite stupid for having overlooked that, I should have checked. Thanks for pointing it out, better now than after re-wiring them.

Last edit: by Wizid.

Handlebar Switches... making the change 21 Mar 2008 08:21 #201353

• The Gringo
  • User
  • ¡Usted no necesita otra motocicleta!
  • Thank you received: 11
Glad I could alert you to a possible snag. Since you have a police bike was wondering if you could check something for me? I need to know the correct part number for the opening throttle cable. It would be the front cable on your bike and the number should be printed on the cable sheathing in gray print near where it enters into the upper adjuster. It should be 12-XXXX the X's being the number I need to figure out. Kawasaki shows 2 cables on their parts diagram but they don't tell you which is the opening cable and which is the closing cable.
Andy
Akron, Ohio
80 Z-1 Classic-Sold
84 GPZ1100
79 KZ 1000 LTD
78 KZ 1000 A2
77 KZ 1000 LTD-Sold
76 KZ 900 The definition of a barn find
76 KZ 900-Sold gone to Denmark
KZ 750 times 3, KZ 650 times 8 Sold 1 down to 7
KZ 550 times 2 80 440LTD-Sold
81 CSR 305-Sold 81 Yamaha XS650 Special

Handlebar Switches... making the change 22 Mar 2008 11:24 #201571

• Wizid
  • User
The lettering is too horribly faded to read. I'm sorry I can't help.

Handlebar Switches... making the change 25 Mar 2008 14:37 #202149

• Phslion
  • User
do these new gauges have a horn button on the left control? cant tell from the picture. Im looking to replace the stock ones for my 440.

Handlebar Switches... making the change 25 Mar 2008 15:44 #202161

• Wizid
  • User
They do indeed have the horn button on the lower left hand switch. They are identical to the stock gauges on my '76 Yamaha XS500C.

• Page: