Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZ1100 coil mod woes 17 Mar 2008 15:29 #200614

• tjhiggin
  • tjhiggin's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Ok, so I'm trying to do the coil mod on my 1100 and am unsure about one of the wires. The relevant section of the wiring diagram is here (full diagram is here ).

On his web site , WiredGeorge writes:

Relay Trigger #86

Find the yellow/red wire that had previously been used to power the coils. It comes out of the wiring harness above the valve cover. This wire terminates in a dual outlet female connector. From this connector, voltage connections are made to both ignition coils. Remove these connections and discard them.

I'm not sure about this yellow/red wire. I assume I'm looking for the yellow/red wire that runs from the IC Ignitor to the 6-pin white connector. I can't locate the ignitor, the yellow/red wire, or the 6-pin connector.

The wiring diagram shows a red wire that comes from the start/stop switch to a red 3-pin connector and then to the coils. I've found this red connector on my bike. However, the actual wiring of the bike differs from the diagram; the yellow wire from the start/stop switch to the red connector is yellow/red on the bike, and then yellow on the other side of the red connector on to the ignition switch. The red wire from the start/stop switch to the red connector then continues as red on the other side of the connector an on to the coils.

Based on my interpretation of the diagram, this red wire on my bike is the yellow/red wire that WG means in his instructions. I'm thinking I can disconnect the red wire from both sides of the red connector. The red wire from the start/stop switch will now connect to terminal 86 on the relay. The other red wire that powers the coils will connect to terminal 87 on the relay. I'm just looking for some confirmation before I mess up my bike! Tell me I've got the right wire.

In other news, when removing the side covers to begin the coil mod, one of the tabs on the left cover cracked. :( Consequently I'll be availing myself of the plastic body panel repair article that is linked from the KZR home page. Thank you for that article KZCSI!

AtDhVaAnNkCsE...
T.J. in Huntsville, Alabama
1983 KZ1100-A3, 1974 Honda CB550-4
Previous bikes: CB100, TS125, CB175, KZ400, CB500-4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by tjhiggin. Reason: correct some errors in the wiring description

KZ1100 coil mod woes 18 Mar 2008 06:41 #200728

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
That was probably the most confusing post I have ever read... my head is spinning. I think the gist of your question is which wire is the relay trigger. The OLD coil powering wire which I think is the red wire coming off your kill switch will do. This wire will go to the "white connector". Come off that connector and go to the #86 post on your relay to trigger. In other words, when you switch the key on, power will flow through the ignition switch to the kill switch and then to the relay. Power out of the relay will flow from the #87 post to the coils. The #85 post is the ground and #30 is the wire to the battery (via the inline fuse) positive (actually where the positive connects to the solenoid).

To find your IC Igniter, by the way, find the leads coming off your pickup coils and trace them back to the area of the battery box. It will be on the right side, most likely but I am not all that familiar with your bike. You shouldn't have to mess with this component in this install I think unless the red wire from your kill switch powered the IC igniter.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

KZ1100 coil mod woes 18 Mar 2008 14:39 #200802

• tjhiggin
  • tjhiggin's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Thanks for the reply WG. Apologies for making your head spin. I thought I was being very clear. :) I should have made another wiring diagram, showing the differences between my bike and the diagram in the shop manual.

In any case, I took your advice; the red wire from the kill switch is now wired to #86, and #87 to the coils. Bike runs fine. I didn't notice any performance difference, but it did start easier than usual.

Thanks a MILLION for your advice.

Leaving Thursday to ride down the Natchez Trace to Jackson, Mississippi. Might even go all the way to Natchez if time allows. Home on Saturday. Weather is looking good. It should be a blast of a trip.
T.J. in Huntsville, Alabama
1983 KZ1100-A3, 1974 Honda CB550-4
Previous bikes: CB100, TS125, CB175, KZ400, CB500-4

KZ1100 coil mod woes 19 Mar 2008 12:11 #201000

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Enjoy your ride... honestly, the older I get, the more "simple instructions" make my head spin... it is hard to believe that when I was younger, I was pretty technical... now I need one of my kids to come over to program the remote control... technology and gravity... unkind unkind hehe
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: