Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Light switch question 03 Feb 2008 12:38 #192591

• fordtruck
  • fordtruck's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
I just bought a 77 KZ1000 and have a question. On the right handlebar switch assembly there is a switch to turn the lights on and off. It's a three position switch. The center position appears to be marked "PO" and seems to be identical to the "ON" position. What is this position for?

Also the neutral and high beam idiot lights aren't working. Assuming it's just the bulbs, can I get them at O'reilly's or Autozone? How hard is it to get into them to replace?

I can't wait for the snow to melt so I can ride this thing!!!!
'77 KZ1000-MTC 1075 kit. Stage 1 port

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Light switch question 03 Feb 2008 13:29 #192599

• Bluemeanie
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
Maybe the PO stands for "police" or "pursuit option" which activated something with the lights (red/blue) at one time?

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!
Attachments:

Light switch question 03 Feb 2008 13:56 #192605

• fordtruck
  • User
Hmmm.. My switch assembly doesn't have the siren button or the switch right below the kill switch.

Light switch question 03 Feb 2008 15:21 #192622

• BSKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
its for power on, I like to keep it off until I am riding
77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

Light switch question 03 Feb 2008 15:30 #192623

• Shoe48
  • User
  • Live each day as it is your last
  • Thank you received: 5
Your KZ 1000p Right switch has the PO postion , on most it does nothing and not hooked up BUT you can take the switch off and solder a wire to that postion on the switch to run your front lights as running lights ,, all the way over turns on the Pursuit Lights .. Lighting the Red Light in the dash ,, This is what I did on my KZ1000P :)

Light switch question 03 Feb 2008 19:19 #192649

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
Interesting. My '77 KZ650C1 has "PO" between ON and OFF, but it was never painted white and the little lever doesn't actually stop there as there is no detent for the center position. I know this is all original; I bought the bike new in ’77. The owner's manual shows the same switch (with PO in black) but simply says it has 2 positions - on & off.
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Light switch question 03 Feb 2008 19:28 #192651

• fordtruck
  • User
Mine isn't painted white either. The switch will stop in it's position though. It looks like it has no function. Thanks for your help guys!

650ed wrote:

Interesting. My '77 KZ650C1 has "PO" between ON and OFF, but it was never painted white and the little lever doesn't actually stop there as there is no detent for the center position. I know this is all original; I bought the bike new in ’77. The owner's manual shows the same switch (with PO in black) but simply says it has 2 positions - on & off.

Light switch question 04 Feb 2008 06:18 #192703

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
The PO position is for turning on your turn signals where they are on constant with the key in accessory position with the bike not running... like parking lights... or at least that is what my memory tells me. I have this position on my KZ900A4 and it works... just don't use it enough to be 100 percent sure... in fact, never have used it. I doubt battery would take even a couple small lights staying on for any length of time without the engine charging the battery. This position has nothing to do with a cop-bike specifically as it is used on non-cop bike applications as well. If you open the switchgear, look at the switch itself and see if there is a wire going to the middle position. If there is, the switch actually does something. If there is only one wire, that is the headlight-on wire that loops over to the hi/low beam switch on the other side.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: