Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Dyna Ignition and coils, Worth it? 15 Jan 2008 21:40 #189513

• krcrawford29
  • krcrawford29's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I am pondering a Dyna ignition and coils for my 650 csr, does anyone have any opinions or facts I should know before dropping 300 f'n dollars? Is it worth it?
Oh, where is the best place to pick up some bucket shims for the valves? thanks ahead of time.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dyna Ignition and coils, Worth it? 15 Jan 2008 22:06 #189516

• Little B
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
krcrawford29 wrote:

I am pondering a Dyna ignition and coils for my 650 csr, does anyone have any opinions or facts I should know before dropping 300 f'n dollars? Is it worth it?
Oh, where is the best place to pick up some bucket shims for the valves? thanks ahead of time.

Hey kr...

Z1 Enterprises is a good place to get shims. I have a couple that I don't need so if the sizes are right for you let me know. (Check the classified area. I don't need any others now so I could just send them over.)

Speaking of Z1 and the dyna s...I was talking with Jeff and asking his opinion on the same question. Jeff said that the electronic ignitions on the KZs are very reliable/well-made so they don't go bad very often. Unless you're having serious problems, he recommended not getting it.

If you are having an issue with not getting enough power to the coils, you might want to try WGs coil mod or a variation thereof. A LOT cheaper. ;)
1981 KZ750-H2 LTD

Dyna Ignition and coils, Worth it? 16 Jan 2008 05:52 #189531

• otakar
  • User
  • Thank you received: 29
I noticed that your CSR is an 81, The ignition it comes with is a good ignition. About as good as the Dyna; but the coils are a good investment. They will give you a much better spark. Just make sure that the new coils you buy have the same resistance as the stock coils. Yours can be 3 Ohm or 2.2 Ohm, check which it is and by the appropriate coils. Use either Dyna or Andrews coils I would stay away from the others.
74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000

Dyna Ignition and coils, Worth it? 16 Jan 2008 07:02 #189546

• ltdrider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 17
I converted mine about a year ago.
I don't push the bike hard, so I really can't say I notice an improvement in speed/performance.
My plugs are a better color with the Dyna. Went from black to tan.
It does start easier, especially when cold, and it has a smoother idle with the Dyna.
'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

Dyna Ignition and coils, Worth it? 16 Jan 2008 07:04 #189547

• Bluemeanie
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
I agree, the factory electronic system is great. Even for high performance use! I converted my points over to Dyna S about a year ago and it's like a night and day difference! Hit the starter button and it lights off within about half a revolution! You do need to upgrade your coils though. Dyna has nice ones, I got my vintage Andrews coils with Accel wires on ebay for $63. I don't think they make them anymore. And by all means do the WG coil mod so everything can work to it's fullest potential!

Post edited by: Bluemeanie, at: 2008/01/16 10:07
1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!
Attachments:

Dyna Ignition and coils, Worth it? 16 Jan 2008 09:27 #189565

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337
Little B wrote:

krcrawford29 wrote:

Hey kr...

Speaking of Z1 and the dyna s...I was talking with Jeff and asking his opinion on the same question. Jeff said that the electronic ignitions on the KZs are very reliable/well-made so they don't go bad very often. Unless you're having serious problems, he recommended not getting it.

The thing about coils is they are just a transformer with a resistor in series with them: nothing hi-tech, that science has been known for over a hundred years. Unless the stock one goes bad, replacing it will probably not give improved performance. If the coil claims to increas spark output, it comes with a price: you need to run more juice on the primary side (lower the series resistor) but the bike is designed to work with the one it came with. There are gains to be had in going from a standard points-coil system to a CD or electronic system because that actually increases the spark voltage without overloading the bike's electricals. The CD systems also put out a very good spark at cold temps when cranking (where the battery voltage drops) so they make starting easier.

Post edited by: bountyhunter, at: 2008/01/16 12:30
1979 KZ-750 Twin

Dyna Ignition and coils, Worth it? 17 Jan 2008 07:53 #189704

• krcrawford29
  • User
good info. Now, I don't have a maintenance manual, so does anyone know the ohms I need for the coils on my ride? And what exactly does the WG mod consist of? is there a link? Thanks again everyone. One more thing, I live in San Diego, does anyone wnat to ride this weekend? I have Saturday through tuesday off.

Dyna Ignition and coils, Worth it? 17 Jan 2008 08:13 #189707

• Bluemeanie
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
krcrawford29, I live up in the Murrieta/Temecula area but can't ride for a while. Bike and I recovering from accident back in August. But here is a link to the WG coil mod. Well worth the $10 or so investment!

WG's Coil Mod
1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

Dyna Ignition and coils, Worth it? 17 Jan 2008 09:52 #189721

• krcrawford29
  • User
Bluemeanie, sorry about the accident, is the KZ OK? Seriously, I hope you are OK, Thanks for the link. This weekend might be fun now:)

Dyna Ignition and coils, Worth it? 17 Jan 2008 10:13 #189726

• inline79
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
I also think you should keep the stock 81 CSR ignition. I have it in my 78 650C2 and it works better than the Dyna!

The Coil Mod is the cheapest and quickest way to maximize power to your coils because it ensures you get maximum voltage right to the coils. Spark energy is directly related to your coils' input voltage. The way the coils are wired originally through 2 switches and many connectors leaves open the possibility for corrosion or bad connections robbing power. The Coil Mod fixes that.

If for some reason you still think your combustion could be better after this mod (which basically maxes our your existing ignition system), then new coils are the next step and a new ignition will have to follow with it.

Of course you need to be pretty confident your fuel/air mix is spot on which leads to the whole tuning of carbs debates!

Dyna Ignition and coils, Worth it? 17 Jan 2008 11:07 #189737

• krcrawford29
  • User
Thanks inline. For now I will do the WG mod, that will probably fix my idling roughness and give all around smoother riding. I like to ride hard, so this bike probably isn't the best for me, but I will be happy getting the most out of it that is possible. It makes a great commuter, I just feel it can be faster. As for the carbs, I feel good where they are. The bike starts up fast EVERY time (with the choke), maybe 1.5 revs and shes going. But I hear the carb backlash from a cylinder not firing every other stop light, kinda annoying.

• Page: