Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

coil ohms 12 Jan 2008 11:55 #188870

• bluferno
  • bluferno's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm ralatively new to the sight sorry for no pics. This is my first bike aswell as rebuild.The thing I need advise on is replacing the coils on my 1980 kz 750 LTD H-1. The bike is completely disassembled but I'm finally on the turn around for the rebuild.No where on the standard coils nor in my clymer specify what the resistance is.I'm guessing the resistance is 2.2 ohms according to one sketchy source.I'm considering purchasing a brand new dyna ignition system or just the coils but can't decide to go with a 2.1 or 3.0 ohm set.Is it better to be over in resistance or just slighty under? Or, do I have to match it exact? Please help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

coil ohms 12 Jan 2008 12:13 #188875

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
  • Thank you received: 29
Welcome to KZr bluferno.

IIRC, your stock coils should be rated at 2.2 ohms.

If you aren't able to locate a set of 2.2 ohm Dyna coils, you should be ok using the 3.0 ohm coils.

From Z1 Enterprises.com website on the 2.2 ohm coils:

Check the resistance of the coils you are replacing to ensure a correct match. These coils work to replace some CDI or electronic ignition system coils where the resistance is in the low to mid 2 ohm range. If you have questions if these are correct, please call us (Z1 Enterprises 315-926-5054 Mon-Fri)or Dynatek at 1-800-928-3962.

Never select a coil with a lower resistance than your ignition system - this will cause the coils to overheat and burn out... It is OK to select coils with a slightly higher resistance.

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

coil ohms 17 Jan 2008 14:25 #189790

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337
bluferno wrote:

Is it better to be over in resistance or just slighty under? Or, do I have to match it exact? Please help.

Always better to be OVER because that resistor is what sets the amount of current flowing in the primary winding of the coil. If the resistance is too low, the coil is drawing more current than the ignition is designed to deliver, you can cook things.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

• Page: