• Page:

TOPIC:

Had charging problems, not no more 05 Jan 2008 11:39 #187800

• love2ride
  • love2ride's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Ngati Tumatauenga
  • Thank you received: 1
So I have been having problems as stated. I went out today and was determined to find the prob.

First check, fuses. Last time I looked at them. Fuses good. NOPE. Took out the 20A, looks good, the end came right off. Hmmm. Replaced it, and the other two 10A fuses.

Start the bike. Looky here, its chargin like a champ.

I printed out the Electrosport troubleshooting guide for reference along with the Haynes. Took not five minutes this time and I got it sorted. Why didnt I do this two weeks ago?

Well Im very happy now, not like I didnt ike the bike to begin with. But now look out. :evil:

:woohoo:
Newport News, Va
2006 Ninja 250 - Commuter
1978 KZ1000 - Not even close to stock.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Had charging problems, not no more 05 Jan 2008 14:30 #187819

• The Milkman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 194
Good to hear that you found your problem. To fix it for good, replace the stock fuse holder with a fixture with new blade type fuses. You can find the blocks with 3 or 4 fuses at your local auto parts store.
What happens is over time the contacts on the original fuse holder corrode and start to build up a resistance in the fuse connection this resistance builds up heat. The heat makes the contacts lose tension which causes more resistance in the connection which builds up even more heat. The heat causes the solder used to hold the fuse link to the end cap of the fuse to melt. That is why the fuse came apart the way it did.
Hope this helps.
Ride safe.
78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

Had charging problems, not no more 05 Jan 2008 14:43 #187821

• love2ride
  • love2ride's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Ngati Tumatauenga
  • Thank you received: 1
I actually thought about doing the upgrade fuse block.

That is what actually happened to the 20A fuse. The one end that came off was "burnt" on the inside.

Thanks for the info.
Newport News, Va
2006 Ninja 250 - Commuter
1978 KZ1000 - Not even close to stock.

• Page: