• Page:

TOPIC:

Fuel (?) problem ZN1300 05 Jan 2008 08:25 #187752

• Cyclebits
  • Cyclebits's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello All,
I may be in the wrong area or on the wrong site, but I am in need of help/knowledge. As well as older KZ's (my favorite) I own a '85 ZN1300 which I bought new, and like my other bikes has been a pleasure to own and ride.
It ran most of the season (last year) and then ceased to start. It used to make a humming noise when the Ign. was first turned on (fuel pump? relay? regulator?)It no longer does, and will not start. Could this be the problem or coincidental? Anyone familiar with these injected bikes or knows where I can go for help?
Thanks Vern

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Fuel (?) problem ZN1300 05 Jan 2008 09:51 #187765

• Lorcan
  • User
  • Speed Loony
  • Thank you received: 59
If it's anything like the other fuel injected Kwaks the fuel pump should run for 5 seconds when you turn the ignition on. If it doesn't it will have no fuel pressure and won't run. Sometimes the pumps stick, especially if not used for a while, in which case a smack with a hammer could free it up. If that doesn't work you could check there is power going to the pump, if not it could be the main/pump relay that is fritzed.

If the pump is the same as on my 750 turbo (probably is) it can be replaced by a 1980 Cadillac El Dorado high pressure pump. Make sure you get the high pressure EFI one, not the low pressure one which pumps fuel from the tank. The Cadillac pumps are identical to the Kawasaki ones. If not, an EFI pump from someone like Walbro would probably be fine, unless you can find a used or new original Kawi one, but a new one would be expensive.
760cc - 8.69@162mph
810cc, 211mph www.750turbo.com
www.stormdragbike.com

Fuel (?) problem ZN1300 05 Jan 2008 11:38 #187799

• trippivot
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
look for the fuel pump relay. check it first

next by pass the relay and energize the fuel pump carefully with jumper wires and see if the bike starts.

that is the start of the diagnosis for your problem. the rest gets involved.

Fuel (?) problem ZN1300 05 Jan 2008 20:14 #187875

• Cyclebits
  • User
Gentlemen,
Thanks for the input. I will try to find and diagnose these parts. The pump should be easy to find. This bike
has numerous relays. I don't have a service manual, only an owners manual. I realy appreciate the help.
Vern

Fuel (?) problem ZN1300 06 Jan 2008 18:34 #188029

• kz1300club
  • User
Check the KZ1300 USA Club for info on all 1300's.

www.kz1300.com/tech.html

Thanks,

David Ewing
832.877.5337 Cell
281.357.1645 Office (9am - 9pm Central Standard Time)
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Fuel (?) problem ZN1300 07 Jan 2008 14:36 #188165

• Cyclebits
  • User
Thanks David, I most certainly will.
Vern

• Page: