Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

83 KZ550 tach 27 Dec 2007 18:31 #186638

• stallau
  • stallau's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I recently bought my 83 and the only problem is my tach/volt meter don't work. I pulled the cover off of the back and it appears all the cables are attached. I get back lighting and the two red lights come one when the key is first turned so I know it's live. Time for a new tach or probably just a bad connection?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

83 KZ550 tach 28 Dec 2007 12:58 #186743

• rtg
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Stallau: I would assume that your tach is electric ..if so this is what I found on mine ("83 KZ1100).
1. all conncections in headlite shell AND conncetions to tach itself must be clean(i sanded and greased mine)
2. wires from ignition pick ups to ignitor must have goooooodd connection
3.ground wire from whatever coil is being used MUSt be mounted clean and securely
4. I took off plastic lense cover ,exposing innards and shot it with very quick drying elelctrical contact cleaner..then re-assembled
5. made sure that electronic ign. rotor was equally spaced between pointed part of rotor and each pick up .(if ya just loosen the plate that holds the pick ups ,position the engine so the pointed end of rotor is aimed at pick up..one at a time of course..use a flat gap guage to assure 20 to 28 thousandths between pick up and rotor.. after this ...I'm outa' suggestions !

83 KZ550 tach 28 Dec 2007 13:01 #186745

• rtg
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
oh yeah!! one more!! I cleaned( with aforementioned spray) that miserable little button switch that allows you to check voltage when pushed>.NOW ! i'M OUT OF SUGGESTIONS

• Page: