Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

WG's gauge cleanup? 03 Jan 2008 05:28 #187463

• twinkyrider
  • twinkyrider's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Let me see if I understand, You actually cut completely through the ring with the tool of your choice in an inconspicuous place (4 o'clock position for example) then gently eased the ring off, did the internals, gently eased the ring back on, then put a dab of jb weld on the seam of the ring where it was cut? That actually sounds easier, providing I back off on the caffiene for a steadier hand whilst cutting!
78 kz1000A
Fond du Lac,WI

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

WG's gauge cleanup? 03 Jan 2008 06:21 #187470

• apeman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
dannyg40 wrote:

It was actually a Roto - Zip tool I used. I just cut around the band just deep enough to "break through" the metal and not touch the housing. I held the tool in my left hand and made the cut towards the bottom right of the gauge. ( around the 4'oclock position ) Once it cut through I opened the band just enough to slip it off and no more. (dont over open it cause it will distort the band). When I put the cover back on and the band back on it surprised me how tight and how nice the ring when right back into place and held its shape. I put the opening I had cut towards the 5'oclock position and there was no more of a gap than the original cut I had made. I didnt even need to use any type of clamp to hold it in place while I put a drop of J-B Weld on it and smoothed it out to match the original shape of the ring. Dont make the cut with the edge of a cutter like a dremel tool, use the tip of the bit to do the cutting. The ring looks like it was never touched !<br><br>Post edited by: dannyg40, at: 2007/12/31 04:10

Great minds think alike. I used this exact same approach a year ago, with excellent results. The only difference is that I used some rubber bands to hold the ring on tight while waiting for the JBWeld to dry completely. The cut on the ring does not show if you place it properly, and the finish on the ring still looks like it came from the factory.
/
Petaluma and Truckee, CA -- member since Jan. 23, 2003;
PREVIOUS KZs: 1980 KZ750H with 108,000 miles; 1980 KZ750E with 28,000 miles; and KZ750H street/cafe project, all sold a few years back.

This is what I do for fun, not for work. It is art, with a little engineering thrown in.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: