Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Stator removal Grommet/Oil leak Fix ?? 15 Dec 2007 09:02 #185171

• GregZ
  • GregZ's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 88
My z900 has a pretty good oil leak from the Stator grommet dyno cover. I removed the cover and would like to remove the stator and have the cover Polished.
Any tips on how can I remove the stator wire grommet with damageing the grommet or wires. I poked and pulled seems to be in there pretty good plus previous owner packed it with some sealent. Any helpful tips appriecated. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Stator removal Grommet/Oil leak Fix ?? 15 Dec 2007 10:54 #185181

• outatimeoutlaw
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Gonna have to get a new grommet from Z1 ENT. You have to cut the wires & I recommend soldering new connectors as they tend to burn out.Also when you put the wires through the grommet,you need to put rtv sealant on the side inside the stator cover,then pull the rtv into the grommet with the wires,then put a good gob of it on the inside. Everything MUST be free of any oil residue.Brake cleaner spray works well.

Post edited by: outatimeoutlaw, at: 2007/12/15 14:02

Stator removal Grommet/Oil leak Fix ?? 15 Dec 2007 11:14 #185183

• arai59
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1
I always use a little Hondabond on reassembly. Never changed a grommet and never had a leak.

Stator removal Grommet/Oil leak Fix ?? 19 Dec 2007 14:24 #185743

• trippivot
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
super common leak spot.

clean it like you are going to eat off of it then
glue it up like making a dam of silicone. LET IT DRY !

the new grommet fix gives you a good chance to make the stator connections really good if they have any stress from previous disassembly. that is the best choice-- you still need to use plenty of sealant. this is a place where it is a-ok to use more than less.. let it dry and trim the visible excess.

Post edited by: trippivot, at: 2007/12/19 17:29

Stator removal Grommet/Oil leak Fix ?? 19 Dec 2007 16:01 #185748

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 237
I use Yamabond #4 just on the mating area of the rubber and have yet to leak on any of my KZs. I've only had to remove a stator cover 3 times that I can remember in all these years though. Strange that this is actually probably the only place that I have never had a leak that involves rubber.
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

Stator removal Grommet/Oil leak Fix ?? 19 Dec 2007 18:21 #185764

• The Milkman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 194
Question,, I see this problem a lot on the site,,, is the stator bathed in oil on the bigger bikes to create this problem? I know the 650 runs dry,, just wondering.
78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

Stator removal Grommet/Oil leak Fix ?? 19 Dec 2007 19:57 #185781

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 237
The Milkman wrote:

Question,, I see this problem a lot on the site,,, is the stator bathed in oil on the bigger bikes to create this problem? I know the 650 runs dry,, just wondering.

That's a good question. When you remove a stator cover, whether it be a 650 or a larger model, normally some oil is found in the cover. It may be an ounce or 3 or 4 ounces, or there may be none at all. There are varying ideas on why oil is in there a lot of the time. Some guys think it's a cooling aid for the stator. I personally think oil leaks past the crankshaft seals, between the case halves, whatever, and gets in there where it has no escape, unless you happen to have a leak on the cover to let it out. I really don't think oil is by design supposed to ever get in there, so no great depths were gone through to make sure the cover does not leak in design. My thoughts at least, but could very well be wrong as I have been wrong once or twice I remember:P
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

Stator removal Grommet/Oil leak Fix ?? 19 Dec 2007 21:20 #185794

• The Milkman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 194
You thought you were wrong Ron, but you were mistaken,, :evil: :evil: :evil: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Merry Christmas.
Ride safe if riding is possible.
78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

• Page: