Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

charging? 10 Dec 2007 02:35 #184376

• quader98
  • quader98's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
howdy,picked up my ride yesturday,the po didnt tell me that the batt was dead till i was on my way up to get it.he got it started by jumping it with a car,which i read is a big NO NO.what should i be looking for be fore i go out and buy a new batt and tender?btw,i got it running by hooking it up to a batt charger...did i do more damage?
Ernie from central jersey
82 GPZ 750 R1
looking to part out my 81 KZ750E2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

charging? 10 Dec 2007 05:37 #184386

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
As long as the car wasn't running when he jumped it, should not have caused any damage.

I'm not in favor of using a battery charger to start one though, the cheap ones have very poor voltage regulation and it's not unusual to see 30 volts on the output.

Since you obviously need a new battery anyway, buy the new battery, install it, start the bike and measure the voltage at the battery at 4,000 rpm, as long as it reads between 13-15 volts then everything is probably ok.

Post edited by: steell, at: 2007/12/10 08:40
KD9JUR

charging? 10 Dec 2007 10:15 #184429

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
At 4K rpm, if your battery voltage only reads 13 VDC, I think there will be problems maintaining a charge. It should be more like 14.5 VDC at 4K rpm. Also, if the battery is shot and doesn't hold a charge, the bike won't run great if you are trying to ride and charge the battery up.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

. 11 Dec 2007 06:59 #184558

• JMKZHI
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 48
del

Last edit: by JMKZHI.

charging? 11 Dec 2007 14:02 #184592

• quader98
  • User
thanks for the info guys ;).i went to buy the battery today and no one has it in stock wth,i gotta wait two days...daaaam

Post edited by: quader98, at: 2007/12/11 17:02
82 GPZ 750 R1

charging? 14 Dec 2007 13:49 #185092

• quader98
  • User
ok,put the battery in and warmed it up ,at 4000rpm it reads 15.4 and the battery light still blinks...any thoughts
82 GPZ 750 R1

charging? 14 Dec 2007 14:13 #185097

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
As Steell said, those car-jumper chargers can damage the reg/rec on the bike. Same goes for a running car for jumping.

For jumping a bike, you should only use a battery, and that only from a stand-alone 12v battery or from a vehicle that is not running.

Cars can jump each other while running because they use a different type of charging system from most bikes. They are not harmed from running-jumps.

15.4v is higher than I would expect. That can be one of two problems. Either the regulator/rectifier is now shot, or the voltage is low to the regulator.

The voltage regulator measures voltage through the brown wire. If there is resistance in the fuses or ignition switch, the brown wire can have low voltage on it. That makes the regulator raise the voltage to the battery. The fix is to clean the connections and contacts for the fuse holders and ignition switch (and any other connector with the brown wire). This is a big job, though.

If you need a regulator/rectifier, you should be able to use any KZ reg/rec with 3-yellows, 1-brown, 1-black, and 1-red/white wire.

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2007/12/14 17:18

charging? 14 Dec 2007 14:57 #185102

• quader98
  • User
thanks for the info loud,i do have the reg from my E2.just to get it right i have to check the voltage at the brown wire at the regulater and work back from there? what should the voltage be? also this came with the battery,what is it? the other battery didnt have it

Post edited by: quader98, at: 2007/12/14 18:20
82 GPZ 750 R1
Attachments:

charging? 14 Dec 2007 17:21 #185111

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
Some KZ's have a battery indicator which detects the acid level in the battery. It lets you know when the acid level is too low. That is the battery indicator light you're getting. That thing goes into one of the cells of the battery in place of the standard plug for the cell. I'm not sure which cell it goes in, probably one of the end ones. Someone may chime in with the info.

The brown wire, theoretically, should have the same voltage on it as the battery positive terminal. In reality, it should be less than one volt different. If the voltage is more than one volt lower, then you'll probably have to do some work. Like I said, the most common places where the voltage drops is the fuses or the ignition switch.

charging? 15 Dec 2007 15:38 #185208

• quader98
  • User
got home from work today and dove in ,found a real shitty splice job that was connecting a partially melted fusible link to the ignition sw, a connection to electric accessory leads,which go no where according to the wiring diagram so im assuming i can eliminate it, and to the red/wht of the regulator.all this was connected to the line side of the starter relay so tomorrow gonna go to the parts store and get some wire and stuff and do it the right way
82 GPZ 750 R1

charging? 16 Dec 2007 14:35 #185340

• quader98
  • User
went to the store and could not find evrything i wanted but did get enough to put it back together,turned the key on and got 11.78 at the battery and got 11.12 at the brown wire of the reg at the mogul plug...is that too much of a drop?
82 GPZ 750 R1

charging? 16 Dec 2007 22:34 #185391

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
That is a pretty large drop. The drop may be larger if the bike is running. You should check it while running. An easier way to check for the actual amount of drop is to put the red meter lead on the positive connection and the black lead on the brown wire. That will measure the actual drop directly.

If the brown wire is about 13.9 to 14.5 and the battery is over 15v, then there is too much drop.

• Page: