Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

ignition boosters 20 Nov 2007 23:15 #181968

• bill_wilcox100
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Thanks Lou, that's good advice. I have some breadboarding and prototyping experience plus some technical background so this all seems do-able to me... and frankly a lot of fun. :)

I really enjoy the reliability, serviceability and packaging design part. Since its a one-of-a-kind project its fun because there are fewer cost restrictions. The biggest challenge that I anticipate is getting suitable/weatherproof connectors and suitable heatsinking material... the hunt begins ;)

I was thinking of locating it under the battery box and away from the rectifier for access and cooling reasons. I would never have considered placing it under the tank... something to think about though. :huh:

When I get this done, some time during the winter, I plan to share it with the membership... hopefully with photo's and colour commentary. That way others may get inspired and come up with their own implementations. B)

Thanks to all... this was a good thread.
1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

ignition boosters 11 Dec 2007 20:18 #184656

• School Teacher
  • School Teacher's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
i had already won it on ebay b-4 knowing what it was. finnally got it and it is a "dyna CR long spark capacitive discharge ignition"

it has a wiring diagram for dual plugs as well as single plugs plus it is fired by a dyna-s in the diagram.
any help would be great! thanks

Post edited by: School Teacher, at: 2007/12/11 23:29
1976 kz900 in parts but will be going some day soon
1980 kz1000G1
1976 kz900 parts bike
1979 kz1000 shaftie parts bike
1978 kz1000 33mm smoothies 1075 kit
Troutdale Oregon USA
Attachments:

ignition boosters 12 Dec 2007 00:35 #184675

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
That's different from the ones I was talking about. This is what I was talking about:
www.dynaonline.com/english/sportbike_boosters.htm
It uses points.

Yours is slightly different. Yours converts a conventional ignition (albeit points or electronic) into a capacitive-discharge-ignition. CDI has much higher voltage which is often needed on two-strokes in order to cut through the oil in the spark gap. Most conventional CDI units suffer from low-spark energy even though they have high voltage. That is because their spark duration is short compared to the conventional ignition. Sometimes they make up for the short duration by putting out several sparks right after one another. That's often called multi-spark-discharge or MSD. (MSD is also a brand name.)

Do you have instructions for that unit?

ignition boosters 12 Dec 2007 11:34 #184743

• School Teacher
  • School Teacher's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
yes, at home . just the diagram but why use it is my question? and does it mean i would need different coils?

and thanks for the info so far

Post edited by: School Teacher, at: 2007/12/12 14:35
1976 kz900 in parts but will be going some day soon
1980 kz1000G1
1976 kz900 parts bike
1979 kz1000 shaftie parts bike
1978 kz1000 33mm smoothies 1075 kit
Troutdale Oregon USA

ignition boosters 12 Dec 2007 18:32 #184789

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
School Teacher wrote:

yes, at home . just the diagram but why use it is my question? and does it mean i would need different coils?

and thanks for the info so far<br><br>Post edited by: School Teacher, at: 2007/12/12 14:35

Quite honestly, that item shouldn't be necessary for a stock KZ. Stock KZ's (in good condition) have no real issues with spark energy as long as the coils are getting a solid 12v, the coils are in good shape, and the ignition is working properly. With the Dyna S, you are already probably getting more spark energy than you need. The CDI booster would be good for motors that burn oil or have the compression boosted.

As far as how to use it, you'll have to look up instructions somewhere. Also, you may try to look up what application the booster was meant for. If you don't want it, you may be able to sell it to a 2-stroke guy or maybe a turbo guy.

• Page: